RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 vs 997C2

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear
Default RS4 vs 997C2

Well I am probably in an enviable position. I was a medical corps Major working at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany. The reason I say was is that spending 2 sandbox tours as a general medical officer with the ate up 1st Armor Division was enough for my to resign my commission and punch out with 11 yrs. Anyhow, as the army lost 25% of their gastroenterologists (hence the screen name) I was able to stay in Germany as a contract physician. You know the deal. See the same patients in the same office but make 3x my army salary. Also the tax breaks are great and I have px/commissary privileges as well as VAT exclusions.

So now the good part, we are able to get Audis, Porsches and BMWs at a reduced price. I am able to get an Audi RS4 for 65K and a C2 Coupe 997 in cobalt blue with xenons, sports seats, heated seats, park assist and sport steering wheel for 74K with factory delivery included. A C2S coupe with the heated sport seats and park assist would run about 83K.

Personally, I think Porsche is somewhat overpriced given the fact that the RS4 comes stock with all wheel drive, heated sports seats, xenons, active suspension and parking assist. Also 420 hp is fairly impressive. So have any of you guys spent seat time in an RS4 as well as a C2? Ideally if my contract were renewed for another year, I would just get both the RS4 and a C2/C2S. FWIW, we don’t pay any sales tax when we bring the cars back to the good ole USA as they are registered with USAREUR (US army Europe). Yes, living in Germany under SOFA (status of forces agreement) is great. We get cheap gas and don’t pay outrageous taxes like the Germans. FWIW the Germans are paying 100K for an RS4 and about 120K for the C2S.

The RS4 is by far a better deal as I am getting it for $1200 above invoice. I just can't see how Porsche stealers are getting 15% over invoice or MSRP. Our military sales dealer gives all of 3% off MSRP but that is still 12% over invoice. If I go with the RS4 I am leaning toward daytona grey and sprint blue as a 2nd pick.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:49 PM
4th Gear
Default RE: RS4 vs 997C2

Sounds like you've got a great thing going there and a nice problem to have choosing between these two cars. I'm both a Porsche and Audi fan. I've driven a C2S a few times, but only been on a short testdrive in an RS4. Both are very quick cars in their own right. I think that is where the similarity ends though. The RS4 is more practical in a few ways because of the roomier back seat and is probablymore comfortableon long (multi-hour) drives. But for a pure driving experience, nothing beats a 911. Less body roll and tighter cornering all around. You feel glued to the road. If you have always wanted a 911, then you should get it. I bought one as soon as I had the cash. I'm looking for an Audi now for a daily driver.

You will find a lot of pissing contests on the web about RS4>M3 or C4S>RS4. Most of that is a waste of space and comparing apples to oranges. You can't really compare 0-60 times and make a good decision about what car you really want. A dedicated sports car is exactly that - and a sport salon is exactly that. There's another thread on here about the RS4 weighing too much. It's a luxury sedan! It's not a race car. The 911 is always closer to the track than these other cars - and you feel it. Sometimes that's a great thing. On an 7hr drive it's not so great. If you like to pick up two girls ata time, unless you like really tiny girls, then better go RS4. It's all about trade offs and how you plan on using/enjoying the car.

Have you taken any test drives? Did one car speak to you more than the other?

Old 01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
1st Gear

I think the big question should be is an 83K C2 better than a 65K RS4? I really think the RS4 is a better bang for the buck. I mean I am getting this car for 1300 above invoice. Porsche mark up is crazy about 15%. My military sales guy seems to think he is doing me a favor by knocking off 3% off MSRP or as I look at it 12% above invoice. And why should I have to pay extra for heated seats, parking assist, sport seats and full power seats on a C2 when all this comes standard on an RS4. Anyhow nothing may drive like a 911 except maybe a Ducati. BTW that is the only way to see Germany as staus on the Autobahn is all too common. Good thing we can lane split here in Europe. We'll see if I can knock more off MSRP on a C2S.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:34 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: army scope jockey

I think the big question should be is an 83K C2 better than a 65K RS4? I really think the RS4 is a better bang for the buck.
Then go that way. If a Porsche is not a must for you personally, then you will have a great time in the RS4 and probably never look back. I think it is hard to quantify by just talking about money. I get something that money can't buy when I drive my 911,but I'm a bit of a fanatic.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:21 AM
1st Gear

Let me put it this way. I could buy the RS4 and have enough left over to buy a new Ducati 1098 or ST3S as opposed to buying the C2S. When I was in San Antonio I had an 89 Carrera that I used to drive fairly regularly. That was until I started riding motorcycles. I had a K12RS and the 911 seemed to sit more and more. I sold the 911 when I PCSed to Germany in 2003. Now that I live all of 8 miles from the hospital, I ride my BMW 1150GS almost daily and we have but one car a 99 Audi 2.8 quattro.

The reason to buy a car now is that if I have to go back to the US, I will save big time on taxes whether I buy the RS4 or the C2S (no TT&L). I think the RS4 will be harder to obtain in the US vs the C2/C2S. OBTW isn't Porsche suposed to do an updatefor 2008? If I ended up changing from a contractor to a GS/federal position with housing, I would homestead here in Germany as Uncle Sam will pay for a house in 10 yrs. If that occured then I would get both an RS4 as well as a C2/C2S. I need to spend seat time in both cars and let my backside decide. It is difficult trying to find an RS4 here in Germany. I did test drive an S4 and it was nice but I think after riding bikes I am somewhat jaundiced about what fast really is all about.

Of course we all know that Ducati is the Ferrari of motorcycles.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:41 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: army scope jockey
I did test drive an S4 and it was nice but I think after riding bikes I am somewhat jaundiced about what fast really is all about.
That will do it to ya. You can go over to some othercar forums and see guys complaining about the speed of their Ferrari's and 997tt - and how they are slow.Talk about needing to spend some timein a buick regal to get some perspective!

In the US, you can really get busted pretty hard for doing 100+. Even 80 can be damned expensive. You've got it better where you are, with the chanceat some autobahn time.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 AM

I was in the same dilemma, and just couldn't decide, so....

I got both (but not at the same time, the C2S is an '05)

Old 01-05-2007, 04:33 AM
1st Gear

So if you had to have one which would it be? I may end up getting both if I stay in Germany. Actually, as an overseas contractor 85K of my income is tax free. So you taxpayers would buy me the C2S and I thank you for it. How do you like the spint blue? I am kinda looking at the Daytona grey. Can you email me more pics esp the interior. Also if you don't mind me asking what didyoupay for the RS4? I think 65K OTD seems alot better than what everyone is paying stateside.

Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM

The two cars offer very different experiences. I bought my RS4 as a replacement for my S4. My other car was a Lotus Exige which replaced my Boxster and again is a very different experience frrom the RS4. The RS4 is an outstanding vehicle and is far more easy for me to live with on a regular basis than the 997. The RS4 is more comparable with a highly spec'd M3, but with 4 wheel drive and a lot more power (for now).

The 997S is a great car and a great drive, but personally I couldn't live with the lack of space,unless it is your toy as my Lotus is - you can only take a spare T-Shirt with you in the Lotus... That said the 997 would be a much easier daily driver than the Lotus. It also depends on what your winters are like - the 997 can be a little tricky on slippery surfaces.

The RS4 is a world away from the S4 - the engine is one of the best and the handling and ride are superb. If you haven't seen it there is a good review on the Top Gear web site.

My RS4 is Phantom Black - after my Boxster I always said I would never have another black car, but it does look really good.

Anyway a nice choice for you to mull over

Old 01-07-2007, 04:54 PM

Struggling embed a picture on this forum....