RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 or VW R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 03:23 AM
1st Gear
Question RS4 or VW R?

Hello,

I live and work internationally as a management consultant. My Imola Yellow 2008 RS4 is in storage in Northern CA. It has only 4,500 miles on the odometer.

I'm giving some thought to selling it or trading it in on a 2012 Volkswagen "R." I need some advice. Does this make any sense or am I foolish to part with the RS4? It's a thirsty beast and I'm assuming that fuel economy would be a bit better with the "R." "Black Book" trade-in values are low - about half of what I paid for the car new.

If I decide to keep the RS4, can I look forward to a few years without major mechanical or electrical problems? Anyone out there with an RS4 with high mileage who can speak to this?

I would sincerely appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thank you very much!
Filo

Old 11-28-2011, 07:15 PM
1st Gear

Keep the RS4, the VW performance wise is a serious step down and you will be able to notice it, the car is amazing and it would disapoint you. Now dealing with mechanical issues, you need to drive it at least 2 times a week because those model RS4 have a carbon build up issue which is treated my driving your car and basically revving it past 4500 rpms and basically doing some spirited driving with it because it is an FSI engine that build up will happen if its not driving properly so you might run into issues there if your not driving it!

Old 11-28-2011, 07:19 PM
1st Gear

And also when you buy those kinds of cars like an RS4 you don't buy that car for fuel economy. It's a performance vehicle and ment to be driving differently than normal cars and so will the VW R

Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 AM
1st Gear

Ok, am I the only one who doesn't get what model VW you're talking about? They all have "R" versions! I can only assume you're talking about the passat R, or the passat cc R (known as just cc R in US), since they're the same size car, but there's also the golf R, the Touareg R and so on. Sorry, not trying to be pedantic, just curious.

Old 12-25-2011, 10:22 AM
1st Gear

The Golf R in this case lol

Old 01-31-2012, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

keep your RS4 a golf r is a big step backwards...