RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

Should I keep my RS6??? Need your help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 10:23 PM
RS6
1st Gear
Default Should I keep my RS6??? Need your help please

Hi Everyone,

I need some help deciding what do do with my RS6. I purchased the car in 2007 as a certified pre-owned. Within the first week I realized that the car felt weird at speeds over 50mph, as if it was going faster than what the speedometer read. It felt unstable, and unsafe. I could go 90-100mph in my wife's A4 sportline, and feel great, but when that would happen with the RS6, the car just felt bulky and just scary. I took it to the dealer, and they couldnt find anything wrong with it. I took it again, and the mechanic drove the car with me in it taking a turn at 110mph....He basically said that if there was anything wrong with the suspension, we would have felt it. But my issue was that the turning can be fine, but what about just overall driving at certain speeds. Im not even talking about 100mph, just 60-70-80mph. Anyway, I delt with it, then 1.5 years later, I get an envelope in the mail stating that there was a recall in the suspension, and that a new system was coming out....So much for all these "experts" that were driving the car a couple of years back.
In Sept.-Oct. of 2009 they made the corrections to the suspension (damping system) etc, but I didnt feel any difference with the car.

Anyway, long story short, the car has 78k miles on it, and is in good shape. I was thinking of selling it, but a couple of friends of mine that are mechanics at Audi (met them in the past year) are telling me that if I put a KW suspension along with Hotchkis sway bars, the car would turn into the beast that it should be. They basically said that the current suspension sucks, and that the RS4 had the same issues.

1. Has anyone had these issues? Or what do you think I should do?

2. In addition, if I were to keep it, even though it has navigation, it sucks, so I was thinking of installing the Audi Plus Nav. Any problems with that?

3. Anyway of placing the front plate bracket without bolting into the bumper? I live in NJ, and have been stopped several times, even though I have the plate on the dashboard. However, I really dont want to screw the bracket in, and was wondering if there were any other options out there.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear

Can't help with the suspension, but similar discussions in the Crossfire forum have surfaced some license plate systems that attach underneath the front bumper and then the brackets loop up for the plate. So no need to drill into the front of the front bumper. Do some googling.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:35 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

Keep the RS6 or sell it? were I to have such a conundrum...

Anywho, I very good mechanic friend of mine once explained to me that the relationship you have with your car is very similar to the relationship you have with people (read as: woman, spouse, good friend). If you didn't initially see something there, desire something, or have a common bond, you wouldn't be friends. Sometimes you start off as friends but one or the other of you does something "wrong" and your friendship suffers. Even if you still remain friends, the relationship is forever changed. Sometimes it is changed for the better, sometimes not. As you continue your relationship, it continues to grow and evolve. Sometimes you grow apart, sometimes closer together. Sometimes you decide that the relationship is no longer working for you, or your friend and it is time to go your separate ways with fond memories.

There, if you suffered through all that:

tl;dr sounds like you don't really trust your car all that much. might be time to move on to something new or figure out how to "repair" your relationship

good luck

Old 09-30-2011, 03:58 AM
1st Gear

I can vouch that the kw v3 and hotchkis sways will do wonders. I've driven both stock and with that setup, and what a world of difference it makes. You will want to track your car after you get that setup