S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2000 Audi S4 Engine Clicking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM
1st Gear
Default 2000 Audi S4 Engine Clicking Noise

Anybody know what this is and is it safe to drive or should I have it towed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OTjKzxILA0

Old 04-14-2009, 11:30 AM
3rd Gear

I think you should have it towed.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:03 PM

when was the last time you had the timing belt replaced?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

Hmm, timing belt would concern me. Unless you've changed it recently, but even then something could have gone wrong. But the fact that you're car is still running and didn't blow up or worst, leads me to believe maybe power steering pump. Thats a long, far out guess but my car makes a noise similar to that. But not nearly as bad. Although mine only does it whenever I give it enough gas move forward or backwards. Not while just idling or cruising. See if the noise gets worst while you turn the steering wheel. Or when you put load on the pump while moving and turning. If the noise changes then I'm sayin pump. But I'm definitely not an expert on these cars. So if you're extremely worried, like I would be, towing it is never a bad idea.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

sounds to me like a cam adjuster issue.. sounds like slapping chain to me.. thats why i think that.. timing belt tensioner probably would make a similar noise.. but not sure..
i wouldnt drive it.. remove your drive belt and see if the noise is still there.. i hate to say but it sounds like engine noise.. if the noise is still there then it is.. if not.. obviously its a component rotated by the accessory belt..

Old 04-14-2009, 11:56 PM

sounds like a butthole after a mexican dinner

Old 04-15-2009, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by bottlecap
sounds like a butthole after a mexican dinner
which is not good...

Old 04-15-2009, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

Well the noise went away......because the timing belt basically slipped off. The car was purchased last week from a dealer who didn't know when it had been replaced, so upon getting it inspected I was going to have this done. Now its too late. It didn't snap, its still in one piece, but its certainly not in the right spot anymore. Hopefully there isn't too much damage. The engine still runs. Do I have to take it to an Audi dealer or is this something that the right shop could handle. Also on ebay I found a timing belt/water pump all in one kit that contains the roller and tensioner etc. Do you think I should purchase this and give it to the shop to install or just bring it there and see what they say. (Its 200 bucks and buying individually each thing would cost over 400)

So Dealership or reg. mechanic?
Purhase the timing belt kit online or let whoever services the car handle it?

Old 04-15-2009, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Guess its the serpentine belt not the timing belt that is off!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:24 PM
2nd Gear

so the noise went away when you took off the serp belt?? that is amazingly good.. your first post sounded like bad news.. then you said the engine still runs.. i was like.. that does not make any sense..lol... good for you brother..

Quick Reply: 2000 Audi S4 Engine Clicking Noise