S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2007 Audi S4 and the Kenwood DNX8120

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 03:39 PM
1st Gear
Default 2007 Audi S4 and the Kenwood DNX8120

I am very unhappy with my factory navigation and it's lack of POI and the inability to accept a connection from the iPod that will allow you to control the iPod functions on the Navigation screen. So, that being said, I am looking to replace the entire unit with an aftermarket one. I have read AMAZING reviews on the Kenwood DNX8120 and the price is right within the range I'm willing to spend, however, I have a few questions that neither Audi nor Kenwood seem to be able to answer.

1. Will my steering wheel controls still work? I don't like having to look down at the screen if I don't need to, so will my Bluetooth, mode, volume and scroll up and down buttons still work? Kenwood seems to think I'd need an adapter but they aren't sure.

2. Bluetooth: can I use the microphone that is factory installed in the car? Kenwood seems to think that I would have to buy an adapter (they don't know what or where) or that I would have to splice into the wire to use it. The reason I ask is it would be MUCH easier than trying to run a new wire. Also, where is the microphone located? Is it up by the controls for the sunroof under the light?

Those are my only two major concerns. If anyone has experience with this unit or has installed it, please let me know what you think, how hard the installation is (I'm very technical so I don't foresee if being a problem) and what adapters you had to buy to get the functionality you want.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
2nd Gear

I installed the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 and I'm pretty happy with it. Just keep in mind that you're going to have to change out all the speakers, too. Bose speakers don't work well with a non-Bose head unit. When I did it about a year ago, there was no adapter for the steering wheel controls. I've gotten used to doing without, but this is a good reminder for me to see if one has been created since then. In terms of the mic, I had one installed above the rearview. I didn't know there was even one available in the car already. If you didn't know it was there, you would hardly notice it.