S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

2010 s4

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 PM
Default 2010 s4

Hello all, new guy here to the forum. From the Colorado Springs area in Colorado and looking to pick up the 2010 S4 as my next ride.

Went down to the dealership today but out of the two they had, one was just sold and the other was damaged on delivery and was in the body shop. Ouch! The salesman mentioned having to get managers approval first before allowing a test drive. If I plan on dropping 60K on a new car I better be allowed to drive it first.

Anyways, I'm set on getting one but I'm debating on the options to get for it. They only have the Prestige package on what seems like most of the cars in this region. I really do not need the navigation, upgraded stereo, etc for all that cost. Cost isn't the issue, I just don't see the need for it.

One option I am seriously considering is getting the Sport differential option. I know with the Quattro set-up it helps with the disbursement of power to the wheels. My question is with the optional sport what advantages do I have. Is it just a beefier set up then stock? Is it worth the 1100 option? Like I said price isn't an issue.

In the end it looks like I'm going to have to order one. They said current wait is about 3 months before your order is ready. Which is fine, I'd rather order one the way I want then just settle on what is there.

Thanks for any and all answers
Dave

Old 09-10-2009, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

The sport differential is very similar to BMW's Variable M differential. However, you have a multi-plate clutch system (very similar to that you would find on a motorcycle) for each rear axle, as opposed to bmw, where they have one clutch system for both rear wheels. When the car senses you are going through a corner, it measures multiple variables like speed and steering angle to map the appropriate torque which should be applied to each wheel depending on your throttle input. In essence, it's a computer which controls oversteer and decreases understeer out of the corner by limiting the power independently to each rear axle. either way, the basic option is just fine as far as safety; you'd really have to be pushing the car to feel the impacts of the sport differential.

If money is no option, I would opt for the Sport Diff, mainly because the cost of that option will most likely not depreciate over time.

Last edited by Mott Power; 09-10-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
2nd Gear

I got my wife a car with Navi because it was the only one they had, thinking we'd never use it. It turns out we use it all the time - they're very cool and now I wouldn't get a car without one.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:13 PM

Mott, thanks so much for that information. Greatly appreciated. Tried asking the dealer but he was rather clueless.

One of my biggest pet peeves. Going to a dealership only to find out you know more about a car then they do.

yesss - Only concern about the Navi for me is if it breaks it can be a hassle. I have a buddy who owns a G35 and has had to have the Navi replaced several times and his car gets held up for a few days because of that.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

Go with the sport differential if cost isn't an issue. I agree w/ Mott, you're not likely to notice it unless you're taking cloverleafs at 90. But, features like that are nice to have when you want to partake in some more "spirited" driving -- especially if cost isn't an issue.

Other than that, save the rest of your money for an ECU Flash and pully kit when they come out. It won't be long

Old 09-16-2009, 08:10 PM

I'm sure price is not the issue if you repeated it two times. So if the "price isn't an issue" the spend the extra money so you can say the price wasn't an issue when people ask you about the car.