S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

abs and esp light.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 08:54 AM
2nd Gear
Default abs and esp light.

alright guys for the past few days the abs and the traction control(esp) light have been on..i checked it for codes and nothing..could anyone tell me if this is a sensor somewhere?? or what the hell it is ...its bugging me out..
my brakes and everything work fine anbd my e brake wirks fine ...i dont understand these audi's ...just why??? is my question?? why does it do it if theres nothing even wrong...j/k

Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: abs and esp light.

I know there are sensors on each corner, when you pull them out you can actually see the cv shaft spinning, so I would think perhaps one of those sensors is disconnected or bad. ?maybe?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:20 PM
1st Gear

Do they come on immediately and stay on? Or do they go off after the initial lit period when you start the car, and then come back on?

If the later, is your steering wheel perfectly straight when you're driving in a straight line? There is actually a sensor in the steering column that can tell when the wheel isn't straight. If your wheel is off to the left or right, and your wheels are still straight, it will throw both lights.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:41 PM
2nd Gear

had same problem last winter ended up having a bad wheel/speed sensor

Old 01-08-2008, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

I also had the same problem. Twice. Once was a wheel speed sensor, the other was a bad connection on either my TB or MAP sensor (forget which one but the ECU light was also on).

Old 01-08-2008, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

if you have been seeing lots of snow it can be that wash your wheel wells and inside of wheelout often
(sand and snow build up)
also check your bumper for large build ups of snow

have faced this is my a6 avant and my s4

also my s4 does it randomly at times if you play with your esp a lot
usually resets its self

Old 01-08-2008, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

Have you been having any limp modes where you cant get above 35mph? If so I had the same problem, those lights all came on as well and the audi dealer couldn't even figure out what was going on. So I hope thats not the case for you bause it sucked.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM

I just had the same problem with my 01 S4. It would hesitate around 70 mph and the abs and esp lights would come on at the same time. It ended up being a bad MAF sensor and a torn throttle body boot. I replaced the factory boot with a samco boot and a oem MAF and the car runs great now without the lights coming on.