S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Auto S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Default Auto S4

ok ive heard that the auto/manual s4 r faster than a 6 sp manual car if it is in a roll. now my question is torque convert wut is it and how does it work? i want 2 get more power from my car i just want to know when does it become a problem if i have too much power?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Auto S4

Wut??

Old 04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
2nd Gear

Only autos have a TC. I am assuming that is what you have? If you are looking for more power from your car, you don't need to do anything with your TC. A tip chip will come in handy though. You will only need to upgrade your TC if you start getting into stage 3 territory and the stock one won't be able to handle it.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM
2nd Gear

Oh and to go along with sweeds...

Seriously man try to write something that is halfway discernible. If you can't do that, go take some english and grammar courses or something!

Old 04-04-2008, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

From what I've been told, the chips do little for the Tip. Downshift time is lessened. Upshifts aren't changed much, if at all.

xav6, the torque converter allows the car to come to a stop without stalling. It slips below a certain rpm. It also multiplies torque, as the name implies. Converters can be modified to change the stall speed (rpm at which the converter locks) allowing for better launch. Too loose is not good on the street due to excessive heat created as the converter slips. In talking to people familiar with the Tip trans, they are durable enough to handle chipping the ECU and a few other mods. Once bigger turbos are installed, the Tip will need to be modified and a proper stall speed converter installed.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear

ya sorry about the post. I couldn't contribute due to my lack of TC knowledge. I now know something, thanks pdq!

If tips are faster from a roll, I'll gladly go for a pull with u once I get my car back!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

I'd like to run a stock 6-speed s4 from a dig and from 30, 45, and 60 mph rolls just to see how they compare. Mine is stock down to the paper air filter right now.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:15 PM
1st Gear

sweeds4, my knowledge isn't Audi specific. I do hope my general knowledge will be helpful. I go way further back with cars and not leaving them stock than I care to think about. [:@]

Scott L, I'm in Ohio. Just south of Cleveland. I just picked up an 01, black on black. Won't be stock for long.

Old 04-04-2008, 08:51 PM

ok sorry about the english. so the TC does all this which is good to know. now chipping the car y wont it give the same gain as a manual car? i want to get a revo software for my car i just have to email the revo support group and ask them.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear

lets clear this all up....

1. chipping the ecu does give the same performance gain (numbers wise) for manual and TIP. Its the same ECU essentially, so the same chip in a manual will provide same gains in a TIP

2. The TIP is a gimick to "improve" shift speeds. I have yet to see proof that they are significant at all. Better off getting a file from somewhere like VAST which is basically a total reprogram, heard great things about this.

3. Autos/TIPs are always going to be faster from a roll (and a dig when the proper set up is there) then a manual, a computer can shift much faster than a person. However, in regards to the B5 S4, this is NOT true. The manual is a 6 speed, so the gear ratios closer, keeping revs in happy land for more of the time, than the 5 speed tip. from about 3rd gear up however, the difference will be very minimal, probably would not notice on the street. The manual is geared better for aggressive driving and accelerating, so it will always be faster, even if its not much. (scott, you will win from 0, but the rest will depend on how good the driver is with a manual.

4. Avoid REVO....

5. The new TT 3.2 comes in a TIP and manual. the 5th gear tested them, and the TIP was slightly faster around the track, but those 2 are geared the same.

Quick Reply: Auto S4