S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

B6 S4 Engine Problem!! HELP NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 04:09 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by auditech79
No ******* way you could burn that much oil in that short amount of time, not to mention you would have the biggest cloud of blue smoke coming out of the tailpipes if that were true. The numbers you have posted are bogus because the engine couldn't even run with less than 70 psi in the cylinders, that has to be a CLT test. I also have no faith in those numbers either because if you have that much blow by you would have absolutely NO POWER. It would run like a geo metro with a 600 lb she male in the front seat. Take the car to a shop that knows their *** from a hole in the ground, or get the correct info from the tech because you don't know what you are talking about.

I put 9 quarts of oil in the car myself!!
After 3 weeks and 1800 miles when I checked the oil dipstick, it was all dry
I took the car to the biggest Audi's own service in Turkey.
They told me there is no oil in the car.
They did the compression test

BTW, I took the car to the dyno the other day and it made 305hp on the flywheel

Old 05-12-2009, 05:12 AM
2nd Gear

still its not possible to have a car that runs and have less than 60 psi in all cylinders. Im thinking they did a leakdown test because its by percentage. 14% leak down would indicate a small problem though

Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM

I have a 05 B6 with the same issue as well. The car uses 1.7kg of oil in 1,700kms. Basically the oil light comes on every 4 tanks of fuel. Audi tried to tell me it was normal initially but have achnolowedged the issue but refuse to cover under warranty. There was a PCV valve fix for the oil problem that fixes it on some cars. My dealer has been fantastic with trying to support me but Audi has denied any claims because my car is now over the 80k warranty, even though the issue is documeted to have been reported at 41k. These 4.2 engines can have an oil use issue and the guy that said 15k to fix is pretty close, I am told the short block is 12k. I am currently at wits end with Audi and cannot understand how they can deny warranty and even how they can not have a solution to this problem since it appears to be a known issue. Audi is so ridiculous that at 79,097kms they had me bring the car back again to weigh the oil instead of measure and then I had to drive the car for 1000kms, I brought the car back at 80,768 and then they say it's out of warranty for this issue sorry (over 80k). You guys have any idea how to get somebody human inside Audi that has some empathy or common sense? Oh yeah car is low compression in 7 of 8 cylinders, does not visibly blow blue on accell or decell, doesn't leak, but the back of the car has oil residue on the bumper.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Are you listing the compression in BAR.

Instead of PSI...?

Mike

Old 05-12-2009, 09:23 PM
1st Gear

As i stated, theres no way your rings are bad at 40k. Believe me! You should question your mechanics understanding for this car if he thinks so. Your problem lies somewhere else. As another poster stated "theres no way your compression could be within those numbers and run. My assumption was that your mechanic could properly do a compression test. If those numbers are correct, then you probably have head and timing issues. Either way that doesn't explain your oil consumption.
I would seriously consider taking the car to someone else. Patients get second opinions and so do you.
We can certainly point you in the right direction here, but you need to answer some questions.
1. Does the car smoke or smell, either from the exhaust, motor, or elsewhere?
2. Have you noticed a considerable loss in power?
3. Do you change your oil regularly?
4. Have you noticed any puddles under the car?
5. can you hear any unnatural motor noises?
6. Does your radio properly store stations?

haha....that was a joke. All kidding aside, you need to give us more information. Symptoms, besides how much oil the car burns, would go a long way.
Are you aware how much work and $ is involved in changing rings on the 8? Just allowing your mechanic to tear down your motor is not only invasive but irresponsible. It's the last option, and with the miles you have.....your rings are not your problem. We can only tell you so much without looking at the car, so you have to tell us more.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pepsicolla
As i stated, theres no way your rings are bad at 40k. Believe me! You should question your mechanics understanding for this car if he thinks so. Your problem lies somewhere else. As another poster stated "theres no way your compression could be within those numbers and run". My assumption was that your mechanic could properly do a compression test. If those numbers are correct, then you probably have head and timing issues. Either way that doesn't explain your oil consumption.
I would seriously consider taking the car to someone else. Patients get second opinions and so should you.
We can certainly point you in the right direction here, but you need to answer some questions.

haha....that was a joke. All kidding aside, you need to give us more information. Symptoms, besides how much oil the car burns, would go a long way.
Are you aware how much work and $ is involved in changing rings on the 8? Just allowing your mechanic to tear down your motor is not only invasive but irresponsible. It's the last option, and with the miles you have.....your rings are not your problem. We can only tell you so much without looking at the car, so you have to tell us more.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:24 PM
4th Gear

cyl1 12.4
cyl2 12.2
cyl3 10.4
cyl4 9.8
cyl6 9.0
cyl7 14.7
cyl8 9.9

Well there's your problem.. Cyl #5 has left the engine!

Your either leaking it somewhere, or someone is stealing it.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:56 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by pepsicolla
As i stated, theres no way your rings are bad at 40k. Believe me! You should question your mechanics understanding for this car if he thinks so. Your problem lies somewhere else. As another poster stated "theres no way your compression could be within those numbers and run. My assumption was that your mechanic could properly do a compression test. If those numbers are correct, then you probably have head and timing issues. Either way that doesn't explain your oil consumption.
I would seriously consider taking the car to someone else. Patients get second opinions and so do you.

I don't know if you read my other topic but here are all the problems the car has. I will list them all maybe you can have an idea on what's wrong with the car.

1) the car made 305hp on the dyno so there is a 40hp loss

2) i was told from the audi service that the comp ratio has to be 13:1 -15:1, mine are ranging from 9.0 - 12s so it is kinda low.

3) the car is making a wierd noise ONLY IN THE MORNING WHEN THE ENGINE DOESN'T RUN FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. it is like a chain noise and you only hear it when you first start the car for 1 second. if you rev the car, right after that noise, you won't hear it, it just happens one time for one second. stop the car during the day, start it, but you won't hear the sound again. can the timing chain be getting loose? can it be loose due to low oil pres?

4) just like the problem above, the car won't start in the mornings. I mean I turn the key, lights come on on the gauge, i turn the key again to start the car, but nothing, no cranking nothing. this also happens only in the morning when the car sits still for 8 9 hours. I try to start the car for 10 mins and then out of nowhere, it starts. once it starts, it wil not make that same problem. you can just stop the car, and then start it with no problems

these are all the problems that occur on the car. what do you guys recommend??

how much does oem piston rings cost?

Old 05-13-2009, 04:22 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by SVOSHOP
Are you listing the compression in BAR.

Instead of PSI...?

Mike
Thats what it seems like because its actually above 100psi in all cylinders in bar if you do the math

Old 05-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by TURBO_S2K
I don't know if you read my other topic but here are all the problems the car has. I will list them all maybe you can have an idea on what's wrong with the car.

1) the car made 305hp on the dyno so there is a 40hp loss

2) i was told from the audi service that the comp ratio has to be 13:1 -15:1, mine are ranging from 9.0 - 12s so it is kinda low.

3) the car is making a wierd noise ONLY IN THE MORNING WHEN THE ENGINE DOESN'T RUN FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS. it is like a chain noise and you only hear it when you first start the car for 1 second. if you rev the car, right after that noise, you won't hear it, it just happens one time for one second. stop the car during the day, start it, but you won't hear the sound again. can the timing chain be getting loose? can it be loose due to low oil pres?

4) just like the problem above, the car won't start in the mornings. I mean I turn the key, lights come on on the gauge, i turn the key again to start the car, but nothing, no cranking nothing. this also happens only in the morning when the car sits still for 8 9 hours. I try to start the car for 10 mins and then out of nowhere, it starts. once it starts, it wil not make that same problem. you can just stop the car, and then start it with no problems

these are all the problems that occur on the car. what do you guys recommend??

how much does oem piston rings cost?

You still haven't answered if your numbers are in the metric value BAR. 1 bar is 14.7 psi, if you are in turkey then its most likely in bar. However this won't cause a massive amount oil burn off without leaving a black ploom behind your car when it runs. If the oil level is low the engine won't start, thats a safety feature. You could also have a bad ground on the battery. The oil has to be going somewhere.
Answer these questions again
1. does it smoke?
2. when it does start, do you hear any "prolonged" noises like ticking valves etc.?

I really think you need another mechanic.

Last edited by auditech79; 05-13-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Quick Reply: B6 S4 Engine Problem!! HELP NEEDED