S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Breaking my heart again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 10:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Breaking my heart again...

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I need your help.

My S4 has learned a new trick. It started by not wanting to turn over again after the engine is warm. She would get spark for sure. You can hear everything sounding normal for the 1.5 seconds it typically takes to crank over and start. Now it just wont crank over if warm. I have to sit and wait for 30+ minutes for the beautiful devil to cool down all the way. I know she needs turbos asap. She hasn't blown them yet but I'm sure turbo lady is en route. The passenger side definitely is leaking oil (to the point now where you can smell it burning when I drive her). All in all this is where my trouble has begun.

I do not drive her much anymore due to the need of turbos and I have a 92x that is my daily driver. I still tried to take her out and stretch her legs every other week or so so she doesn't rot. This new trick was manageable until now.

The last time I drove she died on me three times. Each time she died I had to push her out of the road and sit and wait for 30+ minutes for her to cool down before she would start. Now it seems if the RPMs drop below about 1,500 she dies.

I have no idea what could be causing this. PLEASE any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time and I hope you are all doing well with this new year thus far.

Riley

Old 01-02-2010, 01:06 PM

well,

I think a solid servicing is due to her ladyship
leaking oil is an excellent sign of a needy lady, but I dont think its conected to warm starts problem.
Flat turbo's are other serious problem as vanity hits ladies strong...

maybe you neglected your lady too long...its time to straight things up.... be a man and give her attention needed

Old 01-02-2010, 03:16 PM
4th Gear

WIll it turn over at all or is there just nothing? Check your battery voltage, or Alt. if it's not turning over... If it is turning over but just won't fire replace your coolant Temp Sensor ($30 part from the dealer) and it's an easy fix.

Josh

Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 PM

the coolant temp sensor could be the culprit...as for that oil leak it could be your cam plug leaking onto your exhaust..its right above the turbo on the passenger side..i made a write up a few weeks ago..not saying it will fix your turbos but that could be the cause of your burning oil smell

Old 01-03-2010, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Thank you bottlecap and audiskydiver for your not-so-smug and completely useful responses. I'll start looking into the coolant sensor now. Sounds like it could be the issue...

.... and in regards to you dannyghost...

well,

It's not about being a man, my friend. Its about eating and having a roof over your head too. Trust me if I could I would have my lady competing with The Silver Bullet. Unfortunately there is one thing I do put in front of my lady, me.

Everything you said was completely useless. I mean really, a solid servicing is due? Really? You think? Kind of needless to say considering my current position. All you told me was that she was "needy" which I believe you can learn on your own in the sticky for noob s4 owners. WOW an s4 being needy... never seen or heard of THAT before.

I came to this forum with a humble approach because although I would like to consider myself more than literate with my vehicle I know there are people out there that know more about her than me. That does not give you the right to me such a condescending ***** like you were in your post. Did you really have any other intention when you threw your two cents in than "I need to boost my post count" or "This guy is such an idiot let me show how superior I am to him"?

You should seriously reconsider what your purpose is on this planet. Reconsider, revise, and if you need any help with your conclusion I'll post a DIY on making a slipknot.

Just let me know.

Last edited by rjstone7108; 01-03-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

could be crank sensor as well.. you need vagcom so that you can see what your codes are (if any) and see which sensor is glitching out when you try to start it and it wont..

Old 01-03-2010, 06:32 PM
4th Gear

the coolant temp sensor could be the culprit
My first thought too.. had it happen before on an engine that had 2 sensors, one for the gauge, another for the ECU. Was hard to find with the gauge working

Old 01-03-2010, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

I agree with the coolant temp sensor...

HOWEVER, before you do anything -- scan for codes. As I'm sure you are aware, parts can get expensive. You definitely don't want to be going through trial/error cycles when the answer might be in plain view on your laptop.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by rjstone7108
Alright ladies and gentlemen, I need your help.

My S4 has learned a new trick. It started by not wanting to turn over again after the engine is warm. She would get spark for sure. You can hear everything sounding normal for the 1.5 seconds it typically takes to crank over and start. Now it just wont crank over if warm. I have to sit and wait for 30+ minutes for the beautiful devil to cool down all the way. I know she needs turbos asap. She hasn't blown them yet but I'm sure turbo lady is en route. The passenger side definitely is leaking oil (to the point now where you can smell it burning when I drive her). All in all this is where my trouble has begun.

I do not drive her much anymore due to the need of turbos and I have a 92x that is my daily driver. I still tried to take her out and stretch her legs every other week or so so she doesn't rot. This new trick was manageable until now.

The last time I drove she died on me three times. Each time she died I had to push her out of the road and sit and wait for 30+ minutes for her to cool down before she would start. Now it seems if the RPMs drop below about 1,500 she dies.

I have no idea what could be causing this. PLEASE any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much for your time and I hope you are all doing well with this new year thus far.

Riley

I am sorry man, i really dont like people to get unhappy with their car which we all earned by ourselves.
no need to be rude. hope that you will get your car on the road ready.

enjoy your S4

Last edited by dannyghost; 01-04-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:42 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by rjstone7108
.... and in regards to you dannyghost...

well,

It's not about being a man, my friend. Its about eating and having a roof over your head too. Trust me if I could I would have my lady competing with The Silver Bullet. Unfortunately there is one thing I do put in front of my lady, me.

Everything you said was completely useless. I mean really, a solid servicing is due? Really? You think? Kind of needless to say considering my current position. All you told me was that she was "needy" which I believe you can learn on your own in the sticky for noob s4 owners. WOW an s4 being needy... never seen or heard of THAT before.

I came to this forum with a humble approach because although I would like to consider myself more than literate with my vehicle I know there are people out there that know more about her than me. That does not give you the right to me such a condescending ***** like you were in your post. Did you really have any other intention when you threw your two cents in than "I need to boost my post count" or "This guy is such an idiot let me show how superior I am to him"?

You should seriously reconsider what your purpose is on this planet. Reconsider, revise, and if you need any help with your conclusion I'll post a DIY on making a slipknot.

Just let me know.
EASY THERE FELLER!!!

Quick Reply: Breaking my heart again...