S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Clutch Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM
1st Gear
Default Clutch Switch Question

Over the past 6 months I have been experiencing intermittent "no starts." I turn the key, have power, but the car won't start. Sometimes it will start the next turn, sometimes I can wait 15 minutes before I get lucky. Other days it could start every time. Nothing consistent which is very frustrating.

I've replaced the starter and nothing changed. The mechanic said the next logical option is replacing the clutch switch. I feel like I'm just pulling at straws. If anyone out there has any recommendations, please reply it would be greatly appreciated.

Another question is if the replacement part is technically called SERVICE NEUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH?

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Default RE: Clutch Switch Question

The neutral safety switch is what its called and could be it, its a sensor that only lets the car turn over if the clutch is pressed far enough down. They can sometimes go bizerk. Also it could be the key hole for the ignition on the steering column with a loose wire somewhere. It seems like your mech is going in the right directionI feel its more electrical than some mechanical things I could name.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Clutch Switch Question

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully it is a quick and effective fix. It sucks in the heat of the summer to be waiting around 15 minutes before the car turns over. I really appreciate the response. Nice looking rides by the way.