S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Control Arm question - hurry, car is on jacks!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Default Control Arm question - hurry, car is on jacks!!

Hey guys,

I finally got a control arm kit and in all of my excitement I guess I didn't do enough research. I ripped out all of the control arms (upper and lower) from the drivers side and then went to install the new ones.

Then it hit me

What angle do I bolt these arms back in at?? I have been searching for the past hour and a half and have found a couple DIY threads but nothing that mentions how to bolt the arms back in (as far as angle is concerned). I guess I could use the passenger side for reference, but I would like to know if there is an official way to line these back up.

Can anyone help me???

Thanks!

Old 04-27-2009, 10:34 PM

Just bolt in the control arms but keep them loose, then when you drop the car tighten them down...if you tighten them while the suspension is hanging it will load the bushings in the control arm and when you drop the car the bushings will twist and they will wear out very quickly.

In case there is some confusion I am taking about the bolt that holds the control arms to the strut mount not the bolt that holds the ball joints the the steering knuckle

Old 04-27-2009, 10:55 PM
1st Gear

True, what he said is easy to do if your car isnt lowered. Well at least mine is impossible to get at when on the ground ;p I usually put a jack underneath the hub/lower control arm and jack it up to where I think the wheel usually sets while all fours are touching. That way I can get at everything very easily and not worry about the tire to be in the way. Just my .02 cents.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 AM

Cool, thanks for the answers guys!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by rockboarder
Just bolt in the control arms but keep them loose, then when you drop the car tighten them down...if you tighten them while the suspension is hanging it will load the bushings in the control arm and when you drop the car the bushings will twist and they will wear out very quickly.

In case there is some confusion I am taking about the bolt that holds the control arms to the strut mount not the bolt that holds the ball joints the the steering knuckle
Agreed... you can place a stand under the lower control arm and rest the car on that with the tire still off to make it mucho easier.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM

man i know how that goes...car on jack stands, completely loosing mind cuz you cant find an answer, nothin like these forums to spring some relief into your issues....get it? spring? cuz you're working with your suspension...ohhhhh lol