S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Default Custom Exhaust

I can weld and my buddy's got a bender so I'm planning on putting together my own exhaust soon enough so as to avoid dropping mass cash on one. Planning on just gutting the cats and precats and doing a CB for now (car's still stock, I'll worry about the DP's after I put some work into it) So, 2.5'? 3'? Any suggestions on what muffler to get or would straight pipes be quiet enough to run without giving myself a headache on longer drives? Thanks ahead of time for any input!

EDIT: Car's a B5 S4

Last edited by NKYspdemon; 03-25-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

2.5" seems popular if you keep the twin pipe idea, or 3" if you run a single straight pipe. Just gutting the DP's should provide more than enough flow unless you plan on some serious upgrades (rs6 turbos, etc.). As far as muffler/resonator/straight exhausts... thats a matter of preference. Maybe do some research on the different kinds of mufflers out there and see if a certain design that suits your needs.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:17 PM

See straight pipes would be a lot easier/cheaper, just kinda worried about the noise level. I mean I enjoy pissing off my douche bag neighbors, but I don't want police interest loud lol I get enough of that already.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
2nd Gear

Its not terribly hard to put a muffler in there. As long as you get a quality performance muffler (the oem on the audis is an excellent choice) you'll be fine. Search the forums, I know there are several threads that discuss the flow capability of the stock mufflers and find them excellent.

Keep me updated, I would like to upgrade some exhaust pieces but just like you I think 2K is ridiculous. If things go well I might be interested in buying a few pipes from you and your buddy or getting some tips on welding and bending.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 PM

Alright, that's fine by me man, I'll keep you posted. I'll keep the idea of the oem muffler in mind.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 AM
2nd Gear

i have a 3" magnaflow setup for sale. sounds great around town... then open her up on the highway and it sounds like a ferarri..

Old 03-27-2010, 04:59 PM

How much and where are you located? Cause I'm still in school right now and don't have much cash on hand..this whole thing was gonna go down at the beginning of May probably. Just wanted to price everything up to see what it'd end up being.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear

I know what you mean by that. I'm starting a small business to pay for my car adventures lol. I'm out in Denver, very small chance you would be able to do it here. On the plus side, exhaust pipe pieces are generally cheap making custom exhaust work cheap if you have the skills.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:14 PM

Yeah doing it myself keeps it in the $200-300 range instead of $900-1200 lol

Old 03-27-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigern45
i have a 3" magnaflow setup for sale. sounds great around town... then open her up on the highway and it sounds like a ferarri..
How much and where you at in KY?

Quick Reply: Custom Exhaust