S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Custom Front Mount Intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:24 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Custom Front Mount Intercooler

keep this in mind, your adding pipping which means more space to fill up, so you're going to have a higher boost threshold and boost will taper off some more at the top end most likely

Old 04-25-2007, 04:56 PM
1st Gear

No noticable increase in lag. I also added an HKS intake at the same time so that and the intercooler about canceled out in terms of turbo response. I actually got the passenger side cover on with a little more fine trimming of the pipes, I don't think I'll be able to do to much with the driver side as they cross over each other. I was looking at using a stock bumper for a more stealth look, but without being able to make the side covers fit I'll probably go OEM RS4 widebody at least in the front for now for the extra clearance. I'm going to drill a bunch of large holes in the plate mount area for more flow to the top of the cooler, I don't like how they look with the whole top cut out.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

Don't take this the wrong way, but that passenger side piping looks like poop. I really don't like the bends in the pipe & having a 90 silicone adapter.
Also, both pipes should be the same length, if not the boost will not meet up at the TB. I like FMIC's & yours looks nice, I just hate the pipe sticking out farther then the bumper.

Put a heat shield on that air filter! It's a little close to the exhaust mani.

IC really don't add any HP, Hold on, let me explain. They will only add HP, if the pressure drop is less, so that now there is less restriction in the pressure side.
What they do is allow a higher heat soak time. So on a hot day, or on high boost runs, the boost charge stays cooler longer. You can now run a little higher boost with out hitting really high IAT's & causing dentionation, or LTFT & timing.

IMHO, it will look much nicer with the RS4 type bumper.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

The passenger side pipes are now trimmed a little more to allow the grill to fit and they sit inside the bumper. The driver side is not ever going to fit because of the cross over. All pipes are very close to the same length from the outlet of the turbo and I'm planning on using an RS4 bumper, just wanted to see if the stock one could be made to fit for nights I go out on the street for a more stealth look. The intake heat shield will be on very soon. I wanted to run it and compare throttle response to the stock airbox/darintake. So far the HKS seems to be a little better flowing (same throttle response after adding a much longer intercooling system) so I'll fabricate a heatshield. The bends in the piping are the shortest route I could find using 2.5" piping. I could make it much tighter with 2" but I'm looking to the future and a gt swap soon so I want the highest flow possible within the space I have. All the silicone adapters are reinforced and are the same type I used on my supra with over 30 psi.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:05 PM
1st Gear

that 90* bend is not a problem. Stock hoses have something like a 120* on the lower driver side pipe. as long as it is smooth flow, its fine.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
2nd Gear

Wow that looks liek one of the guys in MA that just got his FMIC made for him..... let me find the pic...

His name is Taylor hes from MA. Rides with Autobon Productions.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

Pretty close, they did the crossover on the pass side though. but it might be the same core.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:50 AM
2nd Gear

holy **** that's badass!! devil, make that car your goal damnit! god i would flip a **** if i saw that car following me

Old 04-26-2007, 02:12 AM
2nd Gear

Is this intercooler really worth it, I mean it looks awesome, but does it function any better then the RS4 intercoolers?

Old 04-26-2007, 02:44 PM
1st Gear

Hey whats up, newbie here to the forum. Irecently purchased my new fmic kit for my s4 on ebay from APT. I thought about doing a custom job but when I added it all up, it came out cheaper to just buy the whole APTkit. I checked around for pricing and theres was the lowest. It also came with T-bolt clamps and install instructions. I've had it on for about a month and I do notice a substantial difference in performance with minimal turbo lag especially at higher rpm's. no fuel cut at all at WOT. All I have right now is Stage II chip tuning and the fmic kit. Another thing I liked was that the IC pipes dont stick out and fit behind my stock bumper.
Here's a link: http://motors.search.ebay.com/?from=...ntercooler+kit
I'll post some pics up when I get them...

Quick Reply: Custom Front Mount Intercooler