S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Doing Some Work on the S4 this weekend... Have a Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:30 AM
4th Gear
Default Doing Some Work on the S4 this weekend... Have a Few Questions

Ok, so this weekend my S4 is getting a NICE kick in the pants but I have a few questions.

1. I am installing a GIAC-X Ecu into the car. With this I am guessing I should upgrade the spark plugs. After reading around I am thinking maybe the NGK BK7RE's gapped to .028? Anyone confirm this?

2. I am installing a Water/Meth kit as well. I got the dual nozzle kit and am wondering the best place to place the nozzle's. I am thinking about half way up the pipes going into the TB. Does that sound like a good place?

3. I am also installing a Pre-Cat 02 Sensor on the pass. side. How hard is it to do? I looked around and it looks like I will have to move a few things to get to it.

4. Valve cover gasket on the drivers side is leaking. What kind of gasket sealer should I use along with the OEM Gasket?

Thanks for the help.

Josh

P.S. I am EXCITED to be getting a REALLY NICE kick in the pants when I hit the gas peddle for the first time after all this is done!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:12 AM
4th Gear
Default RE: Doing Some Work on the S4 this weekend... Have a Few Questions

Anyone have any suggestions? I searched around and there were mixed ideas/feelings on some of these things I asked about.

Josh

Old 04-18-2008, 11:22 AM
2nd Gear

I've heard people like to stay with the stock plugs, but I put in the 7e's at .028 and it works fine for me.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:36 AM

1. That's exactly what I have, you could also gap them at 30 if you want.
2. Not a clue
3. Uh do you mean like tap into the downpipe? By like drilling and then using atap and die to make a hole for a new o2? I don't know what you really mean.
4. The my mac tool guy gave me some in an unmarked container, I believe he said it was lubriplate.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:11 PM
4th Gear

Ok, cool. For the 02 sensor I am just replacing a bad one. Not adding another one.

Josh

Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 PM
2nd Gear

You dont need sealent just clean the surface real well. I use an air brush.

also clean the valve cover itself. Safety kleen if available or non clorinated brakeclean should do with the air brush. Just make sure the gasket lays right. there is a funky spot near the cam tensioner I believe.

Stock plugs.

02 sensor isn't too bad. Do you have a 02 sensor socket? It is possible without just harder if you dont have it. It's pretty quick, just watch your knuckes.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:57 PM

well if it's that then...prepare to stack your extensions and plus one on the socket!

Old 04-20-2008, 05:56 AM
4th Gear

OK, so I can not find the leak around the VC gasket at ALL!!! There is no sign of oil anywhere that I could find. Where else could this be leaking from that I could get an oil smell? And how hard is it to change a radiator in our cars? I just found out that I have a small hole in it. [:@]

Oh and I changed my spark plugs (THAT is the biggest pain EVER!) and never got around to the o2 sensor because i spent 9 hours installing my Water/Meth kit which works amazing!!!!!! Except for when I am at idle because I am misfiring (pretty sure it's the check valve but I am not sure yet). I ran some logs and it REALLY makes a big different in my IAT. I will post them up tomorrow. I have not actually tuned it yet for the W/M but I will do that as soon as I get the misfire problem fixed.

Josh

Old 04-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Take and look up towards the engine form underneath I guess, if its oil you will see it somewhere. To do the radiator is not bad at all! Its basically just the bumper, condensor, the rubber intake guides for the IC's, plastic trim around the radiator, the support bracket for it. BIGGEST thing is there is no drain for our radiator, so have fun with sliding that lower anitfreeze line off slowly....yeah like thats easy.

I never want to question anyones intelligence, but you just got done with the sparkplugs and are misfiring, are you sure you didn't forget to torque one down, hook back up a coilpack, something easy, it happens to be the easythings sometimes.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for the info.

For the misfiring it's very random. I am almost 100% sure it has something to do with the water/meth kit pulling water in when it shouldn't due to a vacuum leak in the w/m system. I had the check valve in backwards and that messed it up a bit. Plus it only misfires when I am at idle as soon as I get onto the gas at all it goes away. I can be at WOT and it runs smooth.

josh

Quick Reply: Doing Some Work on the S4 this weekend... Have a Few Questions