S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Early Signs of Turbo's going out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 04:11 AM
1st Gear
Default Early Signs of Turbo's going out?

What are some early indications that your turbo's are headed out. I have a 00 and I have notice that as the RPM's climb the power kinda of dips on its way up. Is this turbo(s) or Y-hose? Im still new to the german world so any help is much appreciated

Old 11-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Default RE: Early Signs of Turbo's going out?

Hmmm. this could be several things. First off, start your car and open the hood. check to see if you can hear any leaks. If you think you hear one, shut off the car and apply soappy water to the suspected area. start up the car again and check under the hood. look for bubbles.

On the shot turbo note. Since you are not the original owner who did you buy it from? How old was he/she? HOw many miles are on the car? These are all factors in turbo wear. Are you hearing any noise coming from your turbos; if so, which side? can you hear strange noises coming froim your engine bay while your driving? If your turbo was going out you would hear a clatter. like dink dink dink dink dink. (say that as fast as you can, see if it sounds like the sound you are hearing from the engine.)

Do you have a boost gauge? This might be worth looking into. Tell me if this helps and PM me with more questions

Old 11-08-2004, 03:15 PM
4th Gear

also white smoke

Old 11-08-2004, 04:01 PM
1st Gear

Ok, Leaks I notice when I have turned the car off, maybe because that is the only time I notice it. I will check and see where that is coming from.

I have no idea who the original owner is, I bought it from a dealership that a friend recommended me to. The car has 90k on it. No unusual noises coming from the turbos normal whistle, no clatter either everthing seems to be smooth sailing unless I step on it to pass someone and then its just a little hesitant at spots as the rpm's climb.

No smoke either.

Thanks again guys.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:02 PM
1st Gear

Also I have not had a chance to pick up a boost gauge or turbo timer. Both are on the list.

What brands do you guys suggest to look in to?

Old 11-08-2004, 04:57 PM

You can get a Blitz DSTT that has a digital boost gauge built in

Old 11-09-2004, 04:25 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: David_K

You can get a Blitz DSTT that has a digital boost gauge built in

Thanks, I will look into that.

As far as the "leak" any ideas or should a soapy squirt bottle become my new best friend? lol

Old 11-10-2004, 12:29 AM

Soapy towel

Old 11-10-2004, 02:22 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: David_K

Soapy towel

At idle? or should i have someone sit in the car and hold a certain rpm.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:25 AM

it sounds like a tin can rattling, and it speeds up when you let off of the accelerator pedal, its noticable and very loud. The car sat for a few months. And now this happens. The car is extremely slow. So what would you think is wrong? The turbo went ?

PS: Car is exstremely sluggish.

thank you!

Quick Reply: Early Signs of Turbo's going out?