S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Estimated Cost to Replace Turbos??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 PM
Default Estimated Cost to Replace Turbos??

Sup Everyone,

I am considering buying an S4. There is an S4 local to me, '00 model with 120k miles. I'm going to try to find out when the timing belt was last replaced, as he mentioned it had the 120k service done (not sure if that includes the "every 60k" timing belt...prob not). I suspect with this kind of mileage, if the turbos havent been replaced, there's a big chance I"ll end up having to deal with this at some point.

I have the money to do a $1000 repair every now and then, but I'm wondering how much it is goign to cost me if one or both turbos fail. I know you have to pull the motor, and unlike if this was a 4-cylinder nissan or honda, I'm not confident to do that myself.

Given I find a shop that will charge less than the dealership, what is your estimate on the cost for:

1. Parts
2. Labor

Also, if I were to upgrade to K04s at this time, what would be the increase in price for this. Ignore things like turbo-back exhaust, new side mount ICs, and factor in unique things like new exh. manifolds, etc.

THANKS

Old 08-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Default RE: Estimated Cost to Replace Turbos??

k04's 2250 + 500 for inlet piping etc.

install 1-3k, depending on where you go. its an easy DIY

Old 08-12-2007, 10:06 PM
3rd Gear

Book time is 30hrs of labor.

Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 AM

Mitchell and all-data say 19 hours srt

Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM

30 hours would be what the dealership would charge. So maybe 20 hours of ACTUAL labor if i were to take it to a non-dealer?

Given this insane cost, is there any reason to not own an aftermarket warranty on these cars? If the warranties are 3-4k, and the cost to replace the turbos is $5k, is this not an inevitable issue as the vehicles approach 140-150k?

If I purchase a stock '00 S4 with 120k, should I not purchase a $3k warranty from one of these scumbag companies given the eventual problems I will face? Are there people with over 150k still on the original factory turbos?

Old 08-13-2007, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

but ur forgetting the 5k would be for the Upgraded tubo system while the warranty would only replace to stock but at the same time the warranty will cover more than jus the turbos so its a toss up
but in the end if u can do the work urself u will almost all the time save an assload of money

Old 08-13-2007, 02:15 PM

I've worked on Mitsubishis and Nissan (4-cylinders) and a buddy of mine is a mechanic and has worked extensively on Cadillacs and Infinitis...

The swap is therefore quite straightforward once u drop the motor? I assume the motor drops just as any other would? All that either of us is unfamiliar with is the electronics on these german cars, so if that's not an issue here then we could do the swap over a weekend?

I realize the warranty would cover more than just the turbo system, but from what Ive read, that seems to be the only major repair I'd encounter with a relatively stock vehicle, as long as timing belt and other maintenance items are taken care of, correct?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 PM
1st Gear

so what about the gas milage? can someone tell us what difference u get in gas milage when u go with K04s?

Old 08-15-2007, 06:41 PM

[sm=dontgetit.gif] If your worried about gas mileage you probably shouldn't bother with any perfomance upgrades on a turbo vehicle.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
1st Gear

I have never met a person rich or poor that hasn't been curious about gas mileage. It is interesting to see what increased power does with fuel intake.Soinstead of jumping all over himand trying to make him look like an idiot that an answer to a simple questionwould suffice. I would anwser it but I don't knowthe answer. There is nothing different on this car than anything else as far as swapping the turbo's other then it is tight and a pain in the ***. But with some deep breaths it is simpler then it would seem.

Quick Reply: Estimated Cost to Replace Turbos??