S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Everytime I do something nice for her...

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Default Everytime I do something nice for her...

So I went down to the local audi dealer today to drool over a couple new s4s they got in and on the way out I figured I would give my b5 a nice wash and wax at the do it yourself car wash nextdoor. After spending the better part of an hour and nearly 20 bucks washing, waxing, degreasing and so on I climb back into my car to leave and I realize the god damn esp light is on. Its never come on before(well other than on those snowy nights in the mall parking lot). I did degrease and wash the engine compartment but im always carful not to go overboard, It seems like it would be a loose wire but I checked and double checked every accessible connection I could see, shes also been sitting in the sun for a few hours now and the light is still coming on.Where is the eps module located and are there any wires or connections to it that could easily come loose? Any other ideas? Everytime I do something nice for her she gets pissed. Either that or she sensed I was trying to replace her, last time I went to look for cars the windsheild cracked and not a minute later the check engine light came on. Its a love hate relationship im sure everyone on these forums can relate to that.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 PM
Default RE: Everytime I do something nice for her...

im sorry i dont have any information on how to help, but your story about the love hate relationship is just hilarious. i know how you feel. women and cars.... there's no pleasing them.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:05 PM
1st Gear

call the waaaambulance on this one guys! haha JUST PLAYING. guess you'll have to go back to the dealer, maybe acouple more says of warm weather will do the trick. what kind of degreaser are you using and how often?

Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 PM

Not sure what kind....just a generic tire and engine degreaser, i think the pressure washer had more to do with it then the brand of degreaser though. I only wash the engine compartment when it really needs it(to avoid just this)....hmm maybe 2 or 3 times a year at the most.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

2-3 times a year....thats a little over kill if you ask me. one should never wash the engine with anything other than wet rags and a bucket of soapy water. never even use a hose. new cars rely too much on electronics, so you should just completely avoid pressure and water.

plus, like the engine bay even gets dirty..........

Old 05-23-2008, 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue_S4

Commuting from Boston to Springfield massachusetts racking up 20+k a year will make it filthy. You think washing the engine bay twice a year is excessive, once during fall and then again after winter? BTW I only use a pressure washer because it heats up the water and I run it at the lowest psi which isnt even enough to clean the dirt from underneath my fingernails. I just need to know where the cables are for the esp so I can check the connections.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear

I believe the ESP is built somehow into the ABS control modual...you'll need to check for ABS codes.

And I feel your pain with the the dirty engine bay. New England is horrible from that. I'm in Vermont now. I just use hot water and a rag though. Detailer works too. but it is always dirty again within a week.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:48 PM
1st Gear

Dude it's because she knew you were looking at other 'women'....

I'd say give it a few days and see if she cheers up, unless you notice/feel odd symptoms (weird braking/steering etc).

Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 PM

Well guys I was making a beer run tonight before the sox game and apparently shes forgotten all about my car shopping this morning. Light is off, cheapest Audi repair EVER.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:33 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: petes4

ORIGINAL: Blue_S4

I feel bad now but in my first year or so with the S4 is did alot of ripping around on dirt roads (60-80mph) so my engine bay is filthy. Probably where a couple of those little rattles came from too haha
Commuting from Boston to Springfield massachusetts racking up 20+k a year will make it filthy. You think washing the engine bay twice a year is excessive, once during fall and then again after winter? BTW I only use a pressure washer because it heats up the water and I run it at the lowest psi which isnt even enough to clean the dirt from underneath my fingernails. I just need to know where the cables are for the esp so I can check the connections.

Iv allways heard using a heated pressure washer is a good tool to use
Glad the problem fixed itself

Quick Reply: Everytime I do something nice for her...