S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Experience drifting in TIP S4's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:07 AM
1st Gear
Default Experience drifting in TIP S4's?

Just wondering if any of you out there has had any experience or suggestions as to drifting with the S4? I know this really windy road that i've been going 45 mph but i wanna turn off ESP and try it.
Since the car's tip and not manual, was wondering if any1 had any trouble drifting with the handbrake and any adverse effects to the car?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Experience drifting in TIP S4's?

take some before and after pictures...

before - (in the driveway)

after - (in the woods afterslamming a few trees)

I know nothing about drifting, but I can only assume that you would need to put the car in neutral to take the load from the engine away from the wheels? It would seem to me with AWD ebrake would be hazardous to the health of your differencials and locking the rear tires would make the front spin faster right?

Shawn

Old 12-27-2007, 09:51 AM
1st Gear

Find a BIG OPEN parking lot and try pitching the car into a hard turn while applyingcopious amounts of throttle and be prepared to turn the wheel to opposite lock. Never try driving 10/10 on a public road, and NEVER try something new when the surroundings are not ideal for an oops moment.

DON'T USE THE E-BRAKE to initiate the slide. The PARKING brake on our cars is desinged for just that, keeping a parked car from moving, it uses a different set of brake shoes that ride inside the hat of the rear disk and they are not anchored to the car sturdily enough to be applied while moving, especially at a high rate of speed.

If you really want to go drifting, buy a Nissan 240sx and a big turbo kit, and find a hook up for used tires and spare parts. I had a friend who decided to go drifting, and he went through 3 cars in 6 months, DESTROYED.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 PM

ive found a couple ways...

1. breaking loose with power, which is always fun
2. tapping the brakes through a turn, which rips the back end out of control awesomely

never try to drift using the ebrake, since the car is permanent awd it wont do anything but wear out your brakes and right arm

when sliding, always stay on the power. the car will go wherever you point the steering wheel as long as you stay on the gas. unless you REALLY lose it, it never fails. the only thing you have to watch out for is when the car regains control it will snap back and slide the other way if you don't correct the wheel fast enough. like the other guy said, find an empty parking lot some rainy day and experiment.just be careful, it can be tricky, especially@ slow speeds.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

Take a few local High Speed Driving Schools! Then you will learn how to drive the car.

If you try to brake the back end loose, you will loose control & crash.

Yes, you can drift it around a corner if you have the car set up to do it.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 PM
2nd Gear

yeah .... driving school was the best thing i ever went too, i was up at atlanta roadway for the audi driving school. drove alot in TT's and some in my s4 cause it drove it up there. Man i wish i did that school everyday what a great job that would be.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:17 AM

My is300 was tip and it slid out pretty easily. I wouldn't try it in an audi though, requires alot more effort to slide and alot more can go wrong. Plus, I'd cry if i wrecked a car like yours =(

Old 12-28-2007, 01:35 AM
2nd Gear

parking lot first

be careful

oh and turn before the corner, helps to do a little countersteer as well before turn in

Old 12-28-2007, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

What, were you jealous of your friends who crashed their BMWs on your skiing trip, and you want to see what it's like to go off the road, too?

This is a terrible idea that will not end well. You know when someone named Reckless_Kelly is your voice of reason and safety, something is amiss. But I'm with Shawn, pics would be entertaining.

Free hint: If ever you find yourself wanting to do something in a car, and you have no clue what you're doing, don't make your first attempt on a fast windy road. Especially not on 9; there are already far too many cops there.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:57 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: reidconti

This is a terrible idea that will not end well. You know when someone named Reckless_Kelly is your voice of reason and safety, something is amiss.
This is one of the best compliments I've recieved in a while, I'll make it my new sig line!!!

Quick Reply: Experience drifting in TIP S4's?