S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

funny noise under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 PM
1st Gear
Default funny noise under the hood

Ok well I was pulling into the garage and I thought I heard a bird chirping so I sat there for a few seconds and realized it had to be my car. I popped the hood and could hear this faint sound like "chirp chirp...chirp" just like a freakin sparrow or something. Does anything think it might be a belt or pulley thats loose or somethin? I just had the timing belt done about 4000 miles ago. car has 83k on it now. The car runs fine..no other noises or anything

Old 11-14-2008, 12:16 AM

im just gonna take a wild stab at this, did you try spraying some lube on the belts?

Old 11-14-2008, 06:53 AM
2nd Gear

good call bottle cap.. and to make sure its nothing to do with timing belt you could remove the drive belt and if noise is still there shut it off and have it towed to the shop that did your tbelt...

Old 11-14-2008, 08:11 AM
1st Gear

no I didnt spray any lube myself..the dealership might have but im not sure. Its not really a loud noise or anything noticeable but I heard it. I might take it in just to get looked at then cuz if its the timing belt then I dont wanna mess with it.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

anyone know how much it costs to replace serpentine belt + labor? I think that might be the culprit in this case.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:42 PM

Maybe it's a sky lark as apposed to a freekin sparrow!

Sorry dude could not resist.

Have you just had an onset of winter where you live? Colder days? Damp days?

I'm not one for lube on the belts. maybe a bit of chalk if absolutely necessary.

I have chains but have had enough belt cars. Did they replace just the belt or did they do the belt tensioner too? Sometimes this can sound a bit chirp, chirp. Normally from the get go after replacement though.

If you are having damp days then moisture in the air can make the belts chirp but normally on start up not when warm.

Maybe an alternator bearing on the way or water pump.

Try the remove the serpentine belt idea run in for a minute or so.

Or as my old boss used to say........drive it on and let something develop!

Hope all is well dude.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:54 PM
2nd Gear

do not let something develop please.. i dont wanna see a response with you saying you were doing 90 in 3rd gear and tbelt tensioner gave. try the chalk or remove the belt and see if noise still exists.. if it does then get the tbelt and **** checked!!! dont bend all the valves in this engine please.. safe than sorry.. i say..

i heard the same "chirp" from my volvo s80 t6.. pulled it in .. check the drive belt... all was good.. then noticed the tbelt eating through the tbelt cover.. lol.. a guide pulley bearing was gone and belt was bearly hanging on.. woulda been an engine but i caught it before "something developed"....

Old 11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
1st Gear

no i really dont beat the hell out of my car. I am tryin to take it easy on the turbos since they have 83k on them. Im gonna wait until they go before I get K04s. The chirping sound is very faint. I cant hear it on start up, but when I drive home from work and pull in the garage you can totally hear it. Its not a huge deal right now because the car drives perfect and sounds good except for that faint chirping sound. IM gonna take it to the stealership tomorrow morning. Shouldnt be that big of an issue im assuming. That 80k service i might get done as well tomorrow costs like 800 bucks though..no bueno for me

Old 11-17-2008, 11:02 AM

I'm thinking if it were cam bearings or belt tensioner you would hear it cold a lot more. The belts do stretch a very tiny bit once everything is warm. I had a Fiat Abarth many years back and they overtightened the belt on install and it sounded awful for a while but more of a deep drum, drum noise. The belt gave a little over a month and was OK from then on.

Feint chirp at warm idle sounds more like serpentine belt to me. Try a bit of chalk on the belt if you can get to it easily. Feel the inside of the belt (ENGINE OFF) when warm. If it feels or looks shiny and has very small cracks in the ribs then probably time for a new one.

My wife's X3 is real belt noisy in the fall and winter. Car is always garaged and at start up sometimes sounds horrible. Had them change the belt this last summer at an oil service and its still the same. I guess they don't make the belts like they used to.