S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

gt28rs or k04???

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 02:10 AM
2nd Gear
Default gt28rs or k04???

alright.. ive got a new southbend clutch and rs4 pressure plate. when i hit 7000 at WOT i grind really bad going into second.. and clutch slips very random and occasionally... so i need to replace the clutch and go ahead and find me a rebuilt transmission with the longer 6th gear for better cruising.. i was just going to do the project in my garage and so i figured while i have the car down im going to go ahead and go with a bigger turbo kit. obviously looking at k04's or gt28rs kit.. my question is how much cheaper/more expensive is one hit over the other? i noticed a gt28 kit from asp for like 15 grand.. im just hoping that im looking in the wrong place because thats almost 10 grand more than the k04 kit from the same company. .. .. so thats way out of question.. so .. if im wrong or its just wishful thinking.. where can i get a gt28 kit or am i just better off looking for some k04's on ebay?? i really want to do this car up right so if i have to save a little itll be way worth it in the end; im ready for that...oh.. and where can i get a rebuilt tranny as well???

Last edited by bigern45; 02-24-2009 at 02:12 AM. Reason: spellin' rong
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 AM
2nd Gear

Look into Stasis for the trans stuff.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 AM
3rd Gear

If your looking for a "rebuilt tranny" your either going to get an OEM one thats going to **** the bed again, or your going to spend an arm and a leg at stasis. The 3rd option would be JHM which requires you to rebuilt it yourself or to find a shop to rebuild it. The JHM transmission rebuild kit has updated parts so it wont break as easy. JHM also sells several new ratio 6th gears. In comparison to stasis it is very inexpensive, but it is not close-ratio, and is not cryo treated.

Go with the JHM rebuild kit for < $1200, Oh and the new the new 6th gear is $700, id skip but thats your call.

If you want to do it right everything from the air filter to the tip of the exhaust has to be up for the power. you CAN put k04's on piggie pipes with stock intercoolers but thats the cheap way. Plan on getting some high flowing downpipes (034 is a deal at $750 but come unterminated and without cats compared to ASP's which are $1600 with cats) good intercoolers (ER sidemounts or a FMIC are really all you shoudl look at IMO). If you really want to do it right also do head gaskets, valve cover hgaskets, cam seals, and crank seals and crank case ventilation system. Replacing the worn out old front suspension with with a febi kit isnt a bad idea, neither is getting some stronger motor and transmission mounts from 034. New oil lines are reccomended or at least insulate and clean out the old ones.

Now with those two turbo kits are at completely different ends of the spectrum. K04's bolt on to stock manifolds, on a stock motor and completely done up will make 400whp or so. The GT28rs's pretty much require a built top and bottom end, increasing displacement to 3.0L is reccomended for spool, and you need ALL the accessory parts and can be good foe like 600-700 HP. $15,000 will get you the basic parts for the turbo kit itself, but you still need downpipes, intercoolers, a built motor, and more so that estimate could be $10,000 or more too low.

There ARE turbos between the K04 and the GT2871RS.

RS6 turbos: bolt up smilar to K04's
Tial 600 kit: custom worked GT turbos that bolt up to stock manis
GT2554
GT2860

Old 02-24-2009, 08:04 AM
2nd Gear

whats your opinion on this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vnaGHp5PU

im going to do some research on the website and see how deep i need to go into the engine itself.. im trying to stay as stock as possible... dont want to do electric cutouts either...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 AM
3rd Gear

electric cutouts are the least of your worries. Those GT kits mean getting forged connecting rods, new valve train, lots of stuff. You would be completely building the motor. This is supercar power. Theyre my wet dream, but i dont have $30,000 to throw at my car and judging by what your saying you prolly dont either

You want k04's.

www.ctsturbo.com and www.JHMotorsports.com have the best deals. DO NOT buy the knock off ebay turbos, its not worth it.

To get the k04's on get some 034 motorsport inlet pipes and hardware. A number of companies can put you together a fueling kit with a tune. Besides that downpipes and intercoolers are the 2 big things id reccomend. a set of 034 motor, transmission, and snub mounts is less than $400 and it a good investment.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:09 PM

No one noticed the new GT28 kit 034 and Tial came out with? about 9 grand less then ASP and supposedly bolts up to the stock mani's and downpipes. http://www.034motorsport.com/product...s1u575a1hctin0

Old 02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear

In my first post bro!

Tial R650!

Still if your making above 500 HP your gonna want connecting rods, and with the R650 kit your gonna want all the supporting mods too. The tials are pretty new, iv been watching a few people on AZ & AW who got that it looks pretty good.

The r650 kit is basically a garrett turbo with a custom housing from tial that bolts right up to the stock manifolds, it must be internally gated too. 034 is the first to offer a fueling kit to go allong with it but tuning is still up to you, and because this is a new application theres really no "off the shelf" tunes. It would end up being thousands more than a well built, pimped out k04 car...

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 02-24-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:05 PM

who needs fueling and a tune anyways?

Old 02-24-2009, 05:20 PM
3rd Gear

Just for kicks

Gurumans GT28 car. BAD ***. Spins first, second, chirps third, and loses traction whenever you hit boost. Gonna be even better this summer when its finished

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WoF...eature=related

WMS GT28 rocketship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnHHH-c5ow

AlexZtuned (from the video you posted above) has a nice car too. I really like the GenX kits. Good stuff.

Last edited by SourDieselS4; 02-24-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

personally I would go with the K04s since you dont have to rebuild the motor really. RS6 Turbos require forged rods and probably pistons and you will get roughly 450 awhp. Unless you are willing to spend 20k on parts and labor..K04s, inlets, hardware, awe intercoolers, stage 3 clutch/flywheel, downpipes and fueling kit will cost about 12 to 14k with labor. I think K04s will definitely be more reliable and can be an everyday car than a GT28 car. It just depends on how much you wanna spend. If the GT28s arent garretts, id be hesitant to get the tial kit. It is kinda rediculous how expensive the ASP GT kit is but Im sure its worth it if you have to money.

Quick Reply: gt28rs or k04???