S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Help with B5 S4 automatic transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 AM
1st Gear
Default Help with B5 S4 automatic transmission

My automatic transmission sometimes sounds like it mis-shifts and there is a sort of "bang" when it does that. I brought the problem to a local dealer - as it is still under warranty - and they could not find the problem. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Thank you.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Help with B5 S4 automatic transmission

Does the dash lights for the trans go out when it happens? It could be the TCU, do you get any CEL codes for it?

How many miles does the trans have on it? It may be time for a fluid & filter change.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:08 PM
1st Gear

I will have to observe for the trans light when it happens next. As for codes and fluids, the dealer took the transmission apart and said that the transmission checksout in all ways. I bought the car as a cpo at 50k miles. Had it from the start. Thanks for your thoughts.

My main worry, is this likely to be something big? Like, could this mean my auto transmission is going and I will have a big *** repair some day in the future?

Old 07-18-2006, 05:14 PM

1 it shouldn't go bang when changing gear so I would suspect a sticking solenoid, only other 2 reasons I can think of is lack of fluid which means they didn't service the gearbox and 2 it needs a software upgrade oh and 3 the converter is shot, I know that's 3 but what the hell it counts

Old 07-18-2006, 05:17 PM

sorry about the edit its that word (should and shoudnt) my software doesn't understand it "shouldn't" very anoying

Old 07-18-2006, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: unreliable

I will have to observe for the trans light when it happens next. As for codes and fluids, the dealer took the transmission apart and said that the transmission checksout in all ways. I bought the car as a cpo at 50k miles. Had it from the start. Thanks for your thoughts.

My main worry, is this likely to be something big? Like, could this mean my auto transmission is going and I will have a big *** repair some day in the future?
I highly doubt they took the trans apart. That would require dropping the engine, and a bunch of other things. The dealer will not do that under a warranty unless they know something is wrong. The dealer will not be reimbursed by the warranty if nothing is found.

It's also highly doubtful they even dropped the trans oil pan, & did a trans service. This is also something that the dealer charges over $400 for and they will not do it unless they will get paid for it. It's also not part of any maintaince cycle, it's suppose to be lifetime fluid. When I changed mine @ 60kmi, it was NASTY!

FYI, Audi dealers do not repair bad trans, they just install rebuilt ones.

Yes, if it's mishifting, that is something big & should be fixed.