S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

HELP! my car got wet...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 04:22 PM
1st Gear
Default HELP! my car got wet...

so here it is... im looking for help mostly in trouble shooting the electrical or figuring out why it will not start. if i can get the car to start and run then i can fix the rest later. when i turn the key the motor turns over just fine but will not fire or spark. i have been told this could be due to the fuel pump relay. or many of the other relays that were under the dash and got wet. along with the ecu... im currently hoping for some advise on where i can send my ecu to have it tested if anywhere? or if maybe someone in the area with a 2001.5 s4 wants to stop by and let me plug it into their car and see if it works. im located in coeur d alene idaho. the car is currently in my garage with the front bumper and front drivers side fender removed. they are the only parts of the body that received major damage in the accident. im really looking for any and all advise of what i need to check/clean/replace/etc and what the best methods of this are. thanks in advance everyone. please feel free to ask more questions. i also have more pictures too!

thanks, kyle

Attached Thumbnails HELP! my car got wet...-upside-028.jpg   HELP! my car got wet...-upside-030.jpg   HELP! my car got wet...-current.jpg  
Old 02-16-2011, 04:55 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

wow......just....wow

where to start? I assume you are getting power when you turn the key? Does it try to crank? Any noises at all when you try to fire it up? What didn't get wet? Did I mention wow?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear

yes i know it sucks. when i turn the key the motor turns over but will not fire. no spark. i drained the oil, it looked old but not watered down. replaced the oil, not sure if all the gas drained out or not, suppose ill check that when i get home. really the only thing that didnt get wet is the passanger side. about 1/4 of the car was under water and it was the drivers side where all the fuses and what not are including the ecu etc.

thanks, kyle

Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM

The ECU is sealed up pretty good so I wouldn't expect there to be any water in there. I'm guessing the whole fuse panel was submerged so the extent of the damage could be pretty far reaching. With everything that got wet I would suspect water in the engine (intake, heads, fuel, etc.) Also, could be an immobilizer issue, ignition switch, fuel pump (fuse)...

I'm by no means an expert, hopefully one of the "gurus" will chime in here

Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
1st Gear

"The ECU is sealed up pretty good so I wouldn't expect there to be any water in there."

--I thought this was true as well until i further inspected and started taking things apart. apparently there is a hole that goes from the BOTTOM of the ecu box down into the cabin of the car. this usually would not be a problem except the car was on its side and the whole drivers side was under water which means that the water had no problem leaking into the ECU box, in fact, when i opened the ECU box there was indeed a puddle of water in the bottom corner of it, which has since then been cleaned up.

yes the fuse panel was wet and today i plan to check all the fuses and other things such as the fuel pump relay to make sure they are all in working order.

water in the motor is not something i am truely concerned about. when i turn the motor over it sounds healthy, also i removed the spark plugs of the drivers side and there appeared to be no water, gas, or oil in the cylinder. i also drained the oil and it appeared used but with no water in it. i then refilled the oil, however something i did think of is OIL LEAKING INTO THE TURBO while it was on its side. however wouldnt it drain back out after the was upside right again?

so far i have had the intake manifold off to ensure that there is no liquid in there, everything looks good. also the drivers side intercooler is missing as it was damaged in the accident and im not wanting to replace it till i can actually get the motor running.'

i too am hoping for some information from some gurus

thanks, kyle

Old 02-18-2011, 02:02 AM
1st Gear

I'd say test the ignition coils for spark if you have spark then you most likely have a fuel delivery problem. I'm not sure if these cars have them but I know an old car of mine had a fuel shut off switch that would engage if you were in an accident, you could check for that. I have to know, how did this happen?

Old 02-18-2011, 02:08 AM
1st Gear

Also it's probably highly unlikely but did you have someone look in your valve cover to see if the camshaft is moving while you turn it over, my car died on me one day and I checked everything and it ended up that my timing belt snapped. Again highly unlikely but worth a look. I wish I could help I used to live in Spokane but moved away. Good Luck.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

the only way i could think to test the coil packs for spark is by:
1. removing the coil pack and spark plug
2. put the spark plug in the end of the coil pack and press it against the firewall while someone turns the key over.

this is what i did and there was no spark. if anyone can tell me if this is a good method or not that would be great!

fuel shut of switch is a good idea however i cannot even begin to imagine where to look for such a thing

ill check the timing belt next time i have someone over at my house helping me

IF ANYONE IN THE AREA HAS A 2001.5 S4 AND WANTS TO STOP BY AND LET ME PLUG MY ECU INTO YOUR CAR AND SEE IF IT RUNS THAT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! I LIVE IN COEUR D ALENE IDAHO AND I WOULD POSSIBLY EVEN BE WILLING TO GIVE YOU SOME MONEY FOR GAS. MY NEXT OPTION IS TO MAIL IT SOMEWHERE OR SOMETHING FOR TESTING...

this happened on a road that was complete ice and i was trying to go around a corner and for some reason the damn car went straight, i thought this was very weird as i clearly remember a time or twelve that the traction control saved my *** from getting in a wreck... WHERE WERE YOU THIS TIME ESP!?!?!?!

thanks, kyle

Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 PM

The traction control only works when at least one tire is in contact with the ground..

j/k wish I had some useful suggestions to offer

Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

The car won’t start without spark so that is your problem. Now why you don't have spark could be a number of reasons, crank sensor, camshaft senor, bad ecu........ect. Unless you have the tools to test all the sensors it will be hard to tell what exactly is your problem. If I were you I’d try to find a mechanic who is willing to come to you and look at your car for a couple hours. Wish I could be more help. Also you don't need to press the spark plug against the firewall you should just be able to see the spark come off the plug.