S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

high mileage b7 s4

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:09 PM
Default high mileage b7 s4

Hello all, I am in the market for a new car and have narrowed my search down to a e46 m3 or a s4 b6 or b7. I recently ran across a higher mileage 2006 b7 s4 (121,000) for ~$17,000. I plan on looking at it early this week. Anyone have experience with higher mileage on this platform? What are your opinions on buying a higher mileage s4? I am sure most of boils down to how the previous owner treated the vehicle, but are there any major services I should expect from something of that mileage? I recently sold my 300zx TT because of sporadic issues that made it a pain in the *** for a daily driver - So I am trying to find something reliable, given proper maintenence. Any advise on things to check, questions to ask, things to expect, helpful links etc would be greatly appreciated. I *did* search for some info on high mileage b7 s4's but did not turn up with much information. My brain is telling me to go with a lower mileage a4 counterpart but when i saw the car for the price it just got me thinking FYI I am looking to spend under $18,000 or so. Thanks.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:46 PM

I just bought a b6 s4 with 102k miles on it.

After having owned it for a month and some change, a few things I've experienced are

1.) $60, 9qt oil changes - materials only

2.) Limited OTS oils to use for oil changes - I used to use Shell Rotella 5W-40 on my old Integra (without a cat) but because of the high Zn and P content, I didn't want to damage a cat and pay a gwap for a new one. Also, since I paid good money for a nice car, I've limited myself to using only VW-approved oils. Right now, I can only think of three oils with a viscosity of 0W-40 or 5W-40 that are off the shelf, and one of them is hard to find (Valvoline 5W-40 @ Napa only in my little town).

3.) M20x1.00 or x 1.25 threaded drain plug doesn't have aftermarket support for a magnetic drain plug (only the older B5 S4 has support)

4.) Replacement part prices are okay, even paying retail....with the exception of more complex items like the dual mass flywheel.

5.) Manual transmissions use a dual mass flywheel. If damage or worn beyond service limits, it must be replaced. A replacement flywheel is $1000+. There are limited upgrade options, one of which is to use the clutch and flywheel from a B7 RS4, which offers limited improvement. The other option is a single mass lightened flywheel...the driveability is...who knows????

6.) Stereo has a weird attenuation fluxuation problem. It randomly likes to get loud briefly and then mutteringly quiet. Root cause is still undetermined.

7.) AC system gets spotty sometimes. Most of the time it'll work, but there have been a couple of times when it just blows ambient air around. When it works, you can feel it getting cold almost immediately.

8.) Tires are going to be expensive. Registration fees went up. Insurance is double what my old car was.

9.) The rear end needs a bigger swaybar....even bigger than the 22mm RS4 upgrade, which is only a modest improvement.

10.) The B7 S4's have high and low HID's, but the B6's get the aluminum finished side mirror housings. Both have headlight auto-leveling.

11.) The transmission and rear diff mount upgrades are easy to install with a lift and tranny jack. The snub nose mount is a lot more intense and involved.

12.) A valve cover gasket R&R requires a few unusual, but easily obtainable tools, takes a lot longer than you would think, and it's easier to bend the dip stick rather than remove it. It's inevitable and might as well be considered maintenance.

13.) All of the hose clamps are either Oettinger/pinch clamps (single use only) or clamps with the squeezable ears. The 1" pinch clamps are available at Lowe's. The engine also uses smaller sizes so you'll have to buy them individually as needed if you plan on taking things apart.

14.) My gas mileage is about 18MPG (averaged for a typical week) and 21 to 22MPG (all highway).

15.) Again...tires are probably going to be expensive....especially when I'm used to paying the same amount per tire on only the pair of slicks and 50% less per tire for a set of street tires.

16.) Radio still has a cassette deck. WTF?

17.) No aux input for iPods. =(

18.) Wheels use lug bolts rather than lug studs. Try picking up a 50lb rock, centering it on a circle, holding it with hand, while threading the bolts. It's a silly and archaic German thing because the Benzies are like that too.

19.) Still trying to find a quiet, but performance-enhancing exhaust.

Last edited by S4Bennett; 05-23-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Thank you for the reply. The pictures of the car lead me to believe it was maintained and not abused (steering wheel, various buttons, seat bolsters, etc show little wear) I will contact the dealer tomarrow and see if they can provide any service records. If anyone else has things to look for or advise, please speak up! thank you

Old 05-27-2010, 10:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member

for the exhaust answer... i'd recomend fast intensions dp's with miltek cat back

... my s4 has about 90,000 on it now and seems to be still running **** =)