S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

How reliable are Audi's???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:39 PM
1st Gear
Default How reliable are Audi's???

After I bought my first Honda i figured I would never buy anything else besides a Honda or a Toyota. I know those are probably the top, most reliable cars on the road. I don't know a lot about Audis.. Are they reliable as well?

The first time I checked the S4 forums I saw oil leak problems, DV problems, boot problems, turbo problems, are Audi's not as reliable as i had first thought?

I love the idea of having a bi-turbo 2.7 S4 and was/am willing to sell my Honda civic and my Acura RSX type S for it, but I need to know how reliable these cars are.

Yes I understand that if you take care of any car it will last but i am talking OVERALL... Is the Audi a quality car?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How reliable are Audi's???

Audi's are nice *** cars. The only problem about them are high maintenance to me. All cars will run into problems every now and then but i believe Audi will run into more than the regular cars on a the streets. I drive a bi-turbo 2.7 S4 and it will eat majority of the cars on the street. I too also have a Acura RSX type S and i love the car because its so fun to drive with but nothing compared to the S4. The S4 has given me a few problems ever since i bought it but i still love the car.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

I think Audis are awsome! No Toyota or Honda can compare to an Audi S series... or RS series. I havent run into many problems with my car, friend of mine have other type of performance cars, and they run into more problems thanI do. yesI have had a few problems, but it is becauseI have upgraded areas on my car, which causes more stress on the OEM parts.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:31 PM
1st Gear

most hondas and toyotas are good cars but slow and boring cars also. if you want to play you have to pay. that goes with anything. fast cars usually have more parts than slower cars which means you have the chance of more parts breaking...you also have the chance of buying a used car that was beat on because s and rs series audis are a car you buy to beat on it...you dont buy one to drive slow.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:50 AM
1st Gear

Hey,
I am on my 5th Audi and my current car is a 2000 S4. I have found that one of the main issues is that Audi parts are expensive. You can count on most problems costing you. However, these are generally cars that if treated well and serviced properly will give you miles and consistent drive quality into the high 100k and beyond. From personal experience all my Audis were driven and sold with mileage ranging from 156k-210K I was always able to sell my cars even with the high mileage because they are solid cars that if they can be fixed or modded people will buy them. I have always bought my Audis based on how the car was treated before me. Service records with the car are huge in my book. Is the interior trashed, scratched, dirty, scuffs on the fenders, and paint. I have and always will be an audi fanatic, but I know that they require a commitment but are usually a good investment in safety, drivability, resale, and luxury. I also have a brother who is a Porsche cert. mechanic so knowing someone who you trust helps when problems arise. Good luck with your journey into Audi.

Dcllanos

Currently
-2K S4 6 Speed -Bone Stock but sweet

My past Audis
1995 A6 Avant 2.8L- Sold 193k
1991 90 Coupe Quattro 20V Sold 210K
1990 90 CS Quattro 20V Sold 156K
1986 4000 CS Quattro Sold 160K

Old 06-20-2007, 10:51 PM
1st Gear

Dcallanos,

Thanks for the info. I am trying to weight out all my options. I wish i had a solid job that could pay for any problems that I have. But I would also like to buy the parts and work on the cars myself. I am starting to see that that might not be an option because they are hard to work on

Thanks for all the info and input guys

Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear

They're definitely not the most reliable cars on the road but IMO they are incredibly fun to drive and own. Have a look at this thread to give you an idea of what you'll have to put up with in order to own an S4:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144340

Old 06-21-2007, 05:29 PM

they are not hard to work on(anything is hard if you don't know)...just alots more steps then most japanese cars....if you don't want to spend the money...just buy used...you can always find a goodprice with well maintenance....and i don't know why people keep comparing audi to honda/toyota....audi are more high class then that...is like comparing steak with burger.....i think audi are more comparable to more like lexus, acura tl/rl, infiniti....etc...and those are high maintenance too.....

Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 PM
1st Gear

I think one bonus with owning a Honda is there is so many people around my age 18-25 that are on the forums and can help you work on the car. I agreee, audi i a most high class car which makes it more for older people. Which in turn means less people on forums.

So i nervous that if i ask a question on a forum i will get very little help and i'm almost postive i will not be able to afford to bring it some where to get fixed.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: one4eyes

i think audi are more comparable to more like lexus, acura tl/rl, infiniti....etc...and those are high maintenance too.....

not to be an *** but Honda owns Acura and Toyota owns Lexuzover seas there is no Acura or Lexus
if u get a TL its a Honda tl and the lexus is 300 is the toyota altezza

Quick Reply: How reliable are Audi's???