S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

to hybrid or not to hybrid, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 10:37 PM
1st Gear
Default to hybrid or not to hybrid, that is the question

S4 down! So those little guys are about toast. They are leaking oil, making noises and don't produce the flow they once did. So I have done some searching and I think I would like to go with the k04/rs6 hybrids. I want around 500 horse at the crank. What are all of your thoughts on this. I could go with the regular k04s but I think I want a little more. My dad wants the 500 horsepower zo6 vet and I would like to hang with him. . I could do a gt setup as I have the facility but I just don't think I could deal with the car being down so long while fabbing but the turbos would be cheaper and making all the intake stuff would be very cheap rather then buying. Money is an issue as my money tree burned down last year so I will not be spending more then $5500. Intercoolers may have to wait or fueling for the time being. The turbos I want in there cause they are a pain to change. Throw some ideas at me fellow Audi lovers.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:32 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: to hybrid or not to hybrid, that is the question

As much as I have read I have never seen 1 hybrid turbo show to make any more power than the standard KO4. Look at all the dyno shoot outs and the 1/4 mile times it is not like there is a difference in the order anywhere. People have been doing this for years and in the end there is still no proof that there is a difference.

In the end your total power will be more from your tuning and your supporting mods than just the turbos alone.

Just my observation

Old 07-04-2007, 04:59 AM
1st Gear

I deffinitly second that...there is just not any info any where that shows a diference in power or times.

as a bench mark I am 100% behind the tuning being the finnal factor in the performance.

at the last big car show GI in cally. the tunning really showed the gap in tunners.

there were only 2 ko4 cars in the 11's in the absolutely worst conditions you would ever see. the temps showed the real hard truth about the seperation in tuning.

all the cars were mechanicaly fine with almost the same mods

APR
ASP
were all in the 13's

while
AWE
VAST
were all in the low 12's high 11's

Old 07-04-2007, 11:47 AM
3rd Gear

$5500, that kind of limits things a LOT! Are you doing the labor your self?

While hybrids don't seam to be making huge power, they do seam to have a higher lower end torque, & don't fall off as much towards redline.

But for reliability, just get plain K04's & put the extra money into fueling, IC's & a full turbo back exhaust.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:39 PM
1st Gear

you are a ******* retard if think a hybrid is going safe you gas or the bullshit you here just get a b5 s4 and you will be happy hybird dont work unles you know how to drive them and they 25 grand and just suck more gas than you think so dont think your helping the world and bi the way kill your self if you want a hybrid

Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 PM

WTF??? [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 07-04-2007, 02:31 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: s4treet rat

you are a ******* retard if think a hybrid is going safe you gas or the bullshit you here just get a b5 s4 and you will be happy hybrid dont work unless you know how to drive them and they 25 grand and just suck more gas than you think so dont think your helping the world and bi the way kill your self if you want a hybrid
Random?...

Anyway, if you want a badass hybrid try to get your hands on some K09's. They're really just a hybrid of the K04's. When my buddy worked for audi they flew him over to germany for a huge audi convention on the autobahn where all the engineers where. A guy had a K09 setup in his B5 S4 and the thing ripped... I mean f***ing fast. He said it would walk all over the RS6's on the road.

That setup might be a little expensive but if you really want a hybrid, that would be your best option, hybrid or not.

Keep in mind you're not going to reach 500hp just with bigger turbos, need to do a lot to fueling, cooling, and just beef up some parts so they don't explode.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: s4treet rat
you are a ******* retard if think a hybrid is going safe you gas or the bullshit you here just get a b5 s4 and you will be happy hybird dont work unles you know how to drive them and they 25 grand and just suck more gas than you think so dont think your helping the world and bi the way kill your self if you want a hybrid
LOL, you should learn to read.........

He is not talking about a HYBRID CAR, he is talking about HYBRID TURBO's! He has a B5 S4 & want to put in Hybrid K04's with the RS6 turbine wheel.

Dude, you have some issues!

Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 PM
1st Gear

As much as I have read I have never seen 1 hybrid turbo show to make any more power than the standard KO4. Look at all the dyno shoot outs and the 1/4 mile times it is not like there is a difference in the order anywhere. People have been doing this for years and in the end there is still no proof that there is a difference.

In the end your total power will be more from your tuning and your supporting mods than just the turbos alone.

Just my observation
I have found some dyno graphs and everyone of them they are running 100 octane so it is hard to compare against pump gas and they don't look much different in race gas form. I am definately a believer in the tuner squeezing the power out as I have seen lots of cars that were changed signifacantly with a good tune. I just wanted a little more then the next s4 guy that goes stage three. I will most likely just have to do some tuning.
$5500, that kind of limits things a LOT! Are you doing the labor your self?

While hybrids don't seam to be making huge power, they do seam to have a higher lower end torque, & don't fall off as much towards redline.

But for reliability, just get plain K04's & put the extra money into fueling, IC's & a full turbo back exhaust.
I am doing the labor. I already have a turbo back by milltek. Turbos are about 2600 with the hardware and inlet pipes and fueling is 1800. I can get rs4 intercoolers for good deal and then a clutch. All for about $5500.
you are a ****ing retard if think a hybrid is going safe you gas or the bullshit you here just get a b5 s4 and you will be happy hybird dont work unles you know how to drive them and they 25 grand and just suck more gas than you think so dont think your helping the world and bi the way kill your self if you want a hybrid
LMAO!
Anyway, if you want a badass hybrid try to get your hands on some K09's. They're really just a hybrid of the K04's. When my buddy worked for audi they flew him over to germany for a huge audi convention on the autobahn where all the engineers where. A guy had a K09 setup in his B5 S4 and the thing ripped... I mean f***ing fast. He said it would walk all over the RS6's on the road.

That setup might be a little expensive but if you really want a hybrid, that would be your best option, hybrid or not.

Keep in mind you're not going to reach 500hp just with bigger turbos, need to do a lot to fueling, cooling, and just beef up some parts so they don't explode.
That is very interesting but given my budget I am pretty sure that sounds like some crazy stuff but I will do a little searching and see if I come up with anything.

The k04/rs6 hybrid seems to last a little longer on the top end and that is what I was interested in, doing some 40 to 120 pulls that might be difference over the regular ones. Maybe not, some swear by them some say they are worthless.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 PM
1st Gear

the hibrids don't flow more up top because of the wheels. they flow better due to the readjustment of the preload on the waste gate.

I have been searching for years to help me decide on weither to spend the money. any ko4 car with good tuning will be fast so if you have never had a turbo upgrade on your car any turbo upgrade will feel fast ko4 or hibrid.

but being the fact that the military doesn't pay that much I am super cautious where I spend my money. so I always need iron clad proof. the theroy is sound behind the rs6 wheel tho. if you have the money give it a try. the other option that is proven to make more power is the rs4 cam up grade.

or you could buy a hybrid car and kill your self.......it is at least good to know how street rat feels about hybrids

Quick Reply: to hybrid or not to hybrid, that is the question