S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 02:10 AM
Default intercooler?

i still have the stock side mounts on my s4 but i have alot of other upgrades, and right now im lookin to upgrade the intercoolers but im woundering what to go to? ive done sum research and found some side mount upgrades anda frontmount.... but which works best? the Evolution Racing sidemouts look good and so do the awe sidemounts but i would like a frontmount better, cuz of looks.....
ne one running ne of these intercoolers? give me sum input on this...... thanx

Old 04-03-2008, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: intercooler?

There was just recently a thread on frontmounts (FMIC) Look down the forums a little bit. There are some good looking ones out there for sure. I have always been under the impression that they weren't really worth it. I was always told SMIC were the way to go on our cars. ECS also sells the RS4 SMIC's. I think they are cheaper then AWE's if your looking to save a few bucks.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:29 AM
1st Gear

Personally I think a front mount is the way to go more money but its right there in the front and it gets the best airflow. But everyone has there own opinion on this subject I'm going for the FMIC plus it looks bad.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:48 AM
4th Gear

Yes but you have to hack the crap out of your bumper to allow equal air flow across the whole FMIC. If you don't cut the bumper all up then only part of the air will be cooled causing one side to have hot air, the other not. Also with the FMIC that big you will be blocking more of your radiator. Even though the air goes through the FMIC it will be hotter. Not to bad but just thought I would mention that.

josh

Old 04-04-2008, 10:31 AM
2nd Gear

FMIC > ER > AWE > RS4 > stock
the guys with the quicker times are running FMIC's

Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

Yes but you have to hack the crap out of your bumper to allow equal air flow across the whole FMIC. If you don't cut the bumper all up then only part of the air will be cooled causing one side to have hot air, the other not. Also with the FMIC that big you will be blocking more of your radiator. Even though the air goes through the FMIC it will be hotter. Not to bad but just thought I would mention that.

josh
wrong.

the only hacking you have to do, is the bumper support. plenty of people run a fmic without cutting up the front for "equal airflow", and there are logs to back up the IAT's

Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Deb38

ORIGINAL: ThePaintballGuy

josh
wrong.

the only hacking you have to do, is the bumper support. plenty of people run a fmic without cutting up the front for "equal airflow", and there are logs to back up the IAT's
Agreed. Whether you cut the bumper or not, it's still getting more airflow than your fenders.

Old 04-06-2008, 05:50 PM
4th Gear

Yeah maybe but I still think it would be a little weird. I personally just don't like the look that much but to each their own. I like the sleeper look on the S4's.

Josh

Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
2nd Gear

I'm not a fan of the FMIC look on S4's either. I personally am going with the IPP upgraded SMIC's. their performanceshould beclose or about the same as the AWE ones, and last I heard they were around $700, so a better deal aswell.

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2362806.phtml

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 PM
3rd Gear

Theres some disagreement about the IPP intercoolers, alot of people dont like them. IIRC they are only slightly better than stock intercoolers, not really close to AWE's or even RS4's. At $700 though they are priced to sell.

ORIGINAL: sweeds4

FMIC > ER > AWE > RS4 > IPP > Stock
the guys with the quicker times are running FMIC's
[sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

I agree with this completely.

Quick Reply: intercooler?