S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Intro and advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 05:16 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default Intro and advice

Hello Audiphiles,

I am looking to get my first Audi. I have always admired, but never owned. I am going to get an Audi but am on the fence which direction I want to go. I'm 31 and have owned a pretty good variety of cars:

1981 VW Diesel Rabbit
1989 Isuzu Trooper
1992 BMW 5.25i
2001 Ford Mustang GT
1992 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4
2001 VW Jetta Wolfsberg 1.8T
2006 BMW X5

I am currently driving my Jetta, which has 95K miles and is bone stock (wife drives the X5). It is fine, but I want something more substantial. It has been in a few accidents, so I really don't want to put any money into it. I drive a company car to and from work, but need another car for some personal use and want a car for the love of driving. I had a bit of a bad experience with my VR-4, which makes me hesitant to get an S4 due to their similarities (Both TT, AWD, $$ to work on). My VR-4 spent too much time in the shop and I had to sell it off. I don't want to go down that road again.

So I test drove an A3 and loved it. The 2.0T with an APR flash seems like a no brainer to me. I love the versatility of the hatchback. I am leaning towards this.....but

I really like the S4s too. I am hesitant to get one with more than 50K on the clock. Here's one I am looking at: (2001 *not 2001.5*Audi S4 Quattro, one owner, 36000 miles,6 speed manual, 2.7 L V6 twin turbo with intercoolers, 30 valves,Nappa Leather, Audi cover, winter mats, Zenon lights, Michelin Pilot Sports, Bose stereo, 7 CD, 8 airbags, dealer serviced every 3000 miles or 6 months, recent service,all records, parked inside, waxed, dry climate car so no rust,no dents, mint condition, mature owner. Reason for selling; I just bought a new S4.) car is immaculate Silver/black all stock adult owned. Asking is $24K. There is another similar car in my area for the same price, but Imola (not my color).

Even for an immaculate example, is 24k too much? I can get a brand new A3 s-line for $27. Here's what I'm thinking: I am now immune to the mod bug. I have been down that road twice, and really lost my *** on the Vr-4. I do know that I want to flash my car (that one's a given), do any supporting mods i.e. dv upgrade etc. and call that a day. Not for racing, just fun driving on weekends. Any one have any thoughts. I am posting here over the A3 forum because the S4 is more complex and wanted some honest opinions about your ownership experience.

Thanks a million!

Old 02-28-2007, 05:37 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: Intro and advice

Here are the links to the last two S4s that caught my eye. I know they are on the pricey end, but they look well cared for.

***Deleted due to messing up the page layout***

Old 02-28-2007, 09:56 AM
1st Gear

I'm also in the market and have learned a lot from just reading the posts on this forum (especially the sticky at the top). So, I don't have personal experience, but I have seen prices all over the chart with this car. Specifically, I am looking for a b5 as well... imho probably the best looking of all gen's... anyway, 24k seems like it is too much, unless it is totally untouched, 9.5/10 exactly what you are looking for. I looked at one this past saturday, almost the exact same car. grey 2001 (not 2001.5), 6sp totally untouched for 20k from an audi dealership (not sure about the warranty, someone already boughht the car). That is about the price you'll see motivated buyers asking (and not sure about dealers, if they are listing it for 20k, then they def paid a lot less, but then again, they know it might be tough to sell an advanced car like that, although they did sell that one in a couple of days). Many people have advised me to keep looking around, there are plenty of those generation s4's out there, so wait for what you want.

Additionally, the timing service will need to be replaced at 75k, and this is about a $1k job at least. Also, other parts that usually get replaced at about this time are the cv's, control arms and something else I can't recall. So, you could also look for a car at or around this mileage, with the service completed. Also, from what I've learned on this forum, these cars will run well/reliably if you take care of them. They are not hondas/toyotas that can be beaten to death and continue running. So, they will take some time/money to run well, it all depends on you. That's the vibe i've been getting, and am willing to invest in one. Hope this doesn't turn you off, but just a disclaimer.

Finally, I spoke to a guy from Tennessee who buys/sells s4's (usually after he does the timing service) and he asked specifically what I am looking for and said he'd be on the lookout. I can get his number for you if you want. good luck finding your ride

Old 02-28-2007, 01:43 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Thanks Yuninok! Yes- I am aware of some of the tune ups. Getting a low mileage, well pampered car may avoid the need for a while. I am guessing I will be putting somewhere between 5K and 10K miles per year. At 40K miles, that gives me at least a few years before any major service. Also, regarding the search function- this is about the tenth car forum I have registered for, let alone visited. I really don't mind searching for info, but occasionally it is nice to get a custom response and I think an intro post deserves a pass. It gives me a chance to get to know the community here too[sm=thanx.gif].

Old 02-28-2007, 01:51 PM
1st Gear

Very true four ring, totally agree... where are you located and are you looking local only? I'm a little particular with the color I want, so I am looking all over the country to give me a better chance... just wondering what you were doing.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:04 PM
3rd Gear

It will be better then the Mitsu. But it does require some attention. From a performance standpoint, it is kind of like the VR-4. Easy to get power from, comfortable, & fast. But a little slow around the corners (due to weight) However the S4 does handle better & is all around more solid.

For a bone stock car, anything over $21 is pushing it. $24 it had better be perfect. That's high bluebook. Most S4's now are in the $12-20k range. A FULLY built up STG III car will be low $20's. Believe it or not a modified S4 is more reliable then a stock one!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IMOLA!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:23 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: yuninok

Very true four ring, totally agree... where are you located and are you looking local only? I'm a little particular with the color I want, so I am looking all over the country to give me a better chance... just wondering what you were doing.
I am looking on autotrader nationally, but really see myself only responding to ads that are somewhat local (within 250 miles). Smaller search area = less cars, but I have time on my side, so that increases cars as more come into the market.
ORIGINAL: 2k S4

It will be better then the Mitsu. But it does require some attention. From a performance standpoint, it is kind of like the VR-4. Easy to get power from, comfortable, & fast. But a little slow around the corners (due to weight) However the S4 does handle better & is all around more solid.

For a bone stock car, anything over $21 is pushing it. $24 it had better be perfect. That's high bluebook. Most S4's now are in the $12-20k range. A FULLY built up STG III car will be low $20's. Believe it or not a modified S4 is more reliable then a stock one!

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IMOLA!
NOT BASHING IMOLA!I actually like the Imola and it wouldn't be my first yellow car. However, for the S4 I like Nagaro, Silver and Black in that order. Specifically, what mods make the S4 more reliable? I am guessing turbo timer, diverter valve, TBB...

I agree that my $$$ limit for ANY used (B5) S4 should be more like $20,000 dollars.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:00 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Four Ring Circus
I actually like the Imola and it wouldn't be my first yellow car. However, for the S4 I like Nagaro, Silver and Black in that order. Specifically, what mods make the S4 more reliable? I am guessing turbo timer, diverter valve, TBB...

I agree that my $$$ limit for ANY used (B5) S4 should be more like $20,000 dollars.
No need for a TT. Audi has a factory after run pump, to get the most out of it, just put in the lower temp switch.

K04 turbo's are much more reliable then k03's, with that people upgrade the DV, & TBB. When it comes down to it, 80% of the problems with the S4 are related to those things.

Silver cars are every where, even in the performance mags, seams like you can't escape silver anymore. I love the look of Black cars, it just to much work to keep them looking nice.

yes, $20k should get you a very nice sorted out S4. Mine was in great shape, and only need a couple of little things done, I picked it up for $17,500 last May.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:01 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Right on 2k S4. Good info. Are problems with the tranny/transfer case common at all? I had major problems with my last awd car.

I should have known about the after run pump for cooling the turbos. I am pretty sure my Jetta has the same thing. Good info regarding the turbos and the lower temp switch.

I know what you mean about the commonality of silver cars. On the s4, it just looks really clean. Blue seems to be my signature color after having a True Blue Mustang, and a Fiji Blue VR-4. Nagaro looks nice, though I prefer the black leather interior to the blue suede. $17.5K is more my ball park.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: Four Ring Circus

Right on 2k S4. Good info. Are problems with the tranny/transfer case common at all? I had major problems with my last awd car.
The 6-sp can have syncro problems in 1st & 2nd. I'd say it's "common" enough, but not as much as K03's failure. The Tips seam to have less problems.
It's something that I would look into when buying the car, making sure it shifts ok, but other then that, don't put to much into it.

Really they are good solid cars, with only a couple of real problem areas. Most big problems seam to come form neglect, misuse, & abuse.

Quick Reply: Intro and advice