S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

K&N Air Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 07:12 AM
1st Gear
Default K&N Air Filter ?

I just bought a K&N air filter..and I was wondering if any of you guys had one installed on your cars. I was curious to know if you can feel any difference from stock. And if it's hard to install yourself..or should I have a professional do it?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: K&N Air Filter ?

Not real noticable, but still a good choice. Anyways, installation is as easy as cutting butter with a torch.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:42 AM
1st Gear

Good..I think I saw a write up somewhere.

Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 AM
2nd Gear

This should help you out...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng.html

Scroll down to "Installing an Air Filter" in the S4 section. REMEMBER, use a clothes hanger to hook that back latch like the writer suggests or you'll be there for a half hour thinking why you can't get it with your fingers. Other than that it's a sinch, kinda gotta force the filter into place a bit.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:06 AM
2nd Gear

I did this sawp a while a go, and u wont really notice any pickup in performance, but it doesnt mean that u havent increased the Hp: just cant feel it (gains are negliable)
I actually took mine out and replaced it with the genuine panel filta coz i didnt wont to get oil all over mi MAF and destroy it - which is known to happen

Old 07-30-2006, 03:13 PM
2nd Gear

it's true, you can't feel the gain in performance. but it is there. no one can tell a change in horsepower that's like 1 or 2 or something. but a good air filter like k&n will not only help your car immediately, but it will help in the long run as well. and like mott said, don't forget the clothes hanger to pull back the clip in the lowest corner. otherwise you'll be confused as all hell, wondering why it won't go

Old 07-31-2006, 02:01 AM
1st Gear

Do not use it. K&N air filters are bad for S4s. In all serious do not use it.... typically the oil from the filter itself will ruin the MAF. You are better off getting a new OEM filter from the dealership and use it.

Replacing the filter itself is pretty easy, four clips and its out.

Do a search on Audiworld.... there is extensive information on there to back this up.

Old 07-31-2006, 03:41 AM
2nd Gear

i've never heard of k&n filters being bad. where did you read this?

Old 07-31-2006, 05:02 AM
1st Gear

ive got a k+n in my b5 s4, had it in for a few months and have no problems, have read about any excess oil being drawn in and ruining sensors and what not, so i guess when you clean it make sure its not over oiled and is drained properly. cheers.

Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 AM
2nd Gear

well i never knew of any of that. but that's good information. thanks for the heads up

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter ?