S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

local with vag-com?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 01:45 AM
Default local with vag-com?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the audi world with a recent purchase of a higher milage s4. I love the car, but of course there are some things I'd like to fix. First off I'd like to fix the keyless. Each key fob works (as in it is putting out a signal) however I can't program them to the car. From what I've gathered there is something in the computer I need to clear out to get these to work. So the point is:
Anyone in the Bay Area (CA) have a vag-com or something that can help me out with this? Or does anyone know of a fix I can do without some a specialized audithing?

Thanks,

Casey

Old 11-06-2007, 07:16 AM
Default RE: local with vag-com?

I found this on the interweb:
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc13.shtml
The previous FAQ entry on this item had some mistakes (and it confused the hell out of me) so I decided to make it a bit more user-friendly and add a few tips and pointers.
I'd imagine these directions will work on any A4/S4 with the "switchblade" keys. If you own a TT, A6, or A8 with these keys, try and see if the directions below work, and e-mail me your results.
These directions will allow you to reprogram your remote-control "switchblade" keys to full functionality. The '00 S4 manual claims that if you press the buttons too many times outside the range of the car, the key will deprogram itself. I don't know the reasoning behind this.
You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.

[ol][*]Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.[*]Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.[*]On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked[*]With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.[*]Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.[*]Open drivers door, remove key from ignition. [/ol]
If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.

Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM
3rd Gear

God i love the interweb

Old 11-07-2007, 12:03 AM

I have tried the above method, but it still wont work, which is why I believed it was something to do with the onboard computer?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 PM

Ok so I've tried just about every method on the internet I can find to try and reprogram the remotes, but nothing works. I've had one mechanic friend try, and he cant do it either, so hopefully its not just me.
Now when I do the steps: ignition on, lock door, press unlock button on key... I dont even get a horn honk or lights to flash or anything. I know the key itself is sending out a signal (tested it with a tester thingie), so is the culprit the reciever in the car? Any ideas out there? I've tried clearing out the programming slots or whatever too, but again its like the car isnt getting the signal cuz there is no beep or flash. Any help would be appreciated... any ideas how much a dealership would charge to fix this problem?