S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Looking at a '02 S6 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Looking at a '02 S6 Avant

I'm looking into purchasing an '02 S6 Avant I saw recently and wanted to get a couple impressions from the local audi-philes

This one is a manumatic w/ just over 60k miles (mostly highway) and seems to be in quite good mechanical shape (front windshield has a small crack). It comes with two rim sets (stockers w/ winter tires and Superleggeras w/ summer tires) and is unmodded.

I have heard things through the grapevine that once this car gets to 60k miles the wheels start to come off the cart? Is this just heresy or is it founded? I honestly know verylittle about these cars, as I've never owned one, but I have picked up a bit in the couple months I've lurked on Audi Forums

I currently drive a very modified 350Z (tons of internal engine & drivetrain work), but find myself moving to a colder clime where snow is the norm... somehow, I don't think the Z is going to be too useful for a large part of the year. That and I need something I can fit more than a single golf bag into, hehe (actually, I think NISMO Japan sells a matched luggage set that allows you to fit two sets of clubs in the Z, but I digress). The S6 is probably my best chance at keeping some power in my cars that i've become very used to (a used RS6 is ~$20k more).

Right now I get 8-10mpg due to my heavy foot and am hoping that the S6 and a whole lot of restraint will help me bump that up a bit, maybe if i'm really good around 20mpg?

If this car is in great mechanical shape, what should I look forward to in terms of typical maintenance over time costs? Any insight you current owners could give me would be great

Thanks in advance!
-nick

Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Looking at a '02 S6 Avant

I just bought an 02 S6 with 66K milesin Colorado and I love it. Oddly enough, it also has superleggeras for the summer. It's my first Audi, but I've wanted one ever since they came out. If you're looking for a car that you can modify a bunch, this probably isn't it. I haven't seen a lot of aftermarket support and what there is, is very expensive. I have the Stop Tech brakes on mine, but the rest is stock. If you want to modify your car, a turbo S4 might bethe way to go. Also, if you want to be noticed, the S6 may not be for you. No one seems to know or care what it is, which is fine by me.
We get right around 20 mpg in everyday driving.
As for maintenance, I'd recommend doing oil changes every 5K or so. Some people will disagree, but whatever you want to do.
Timing belts are recommended at 105K (I think). I've heard they really should be done by 75K. An Audi dealer quoted me at $2200- which seemed really high. I'm still looking for a better deal. Transmissions should probably be flushed (diffs too?) by this time.

Overall, I love my S6. It's everythingI waslooking for in a car. Fast, reliable, steathy, roomy, etc.

Good luck,
Marc

Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 AM
1st Gear

Marc -- thanks for the reply!

I think part of the movement from my Z to this is growing out of the money-pit habit of modfiying a car, so it needs to be somewhat fast from the get-go Not really looking for mods other than maybe intake/headers/exhaust if I want to change the way it sounds a bit or some sways to make it stick to corners a little more. I'm more interested in it being mechanically bombproof than the fastest thing around, hence the decision to keep it NA. Also, if the few mods that are available are expensive, maybe i'll get some stock aluminum piping and bend some of my own

Carfax report says that this one was a "fleet vehicle" for 8 months of its early life, but was single owner after that, so I think it should be in pretty decent shape. I currently do oil changes on the Z every 3k, and every 5k on my wife's passat, and I'll have to look into the timing belt replacement.

Thanks again,
-nick

Old 04-22-2008, 09:12 AM
1st Gear

Hi Nick,
The S6 is a pretty big boy (4100 pounds), but it does handle pretty well stock. The exhaust is pretty quiet and would sound nice opened up a bit.

One of the S6's we were looking at was also a fleet vehicle.

From what I've found (online, etc.)- if you take care of it, it should take care of you. I haven't seen anything that's inherent in the S6 that was a deterent to me wanting one. If anything, I'd like less amenities. I don't need power everything and all the gadgets. The car we got only had the heated rear seats as options.

I think the V8 in the allroad was the only one with a timing chain if the belt is a big deterent.

Marc

Old 04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
1st Gear

Heated seats will be a definite plus!

Thanks for the info, sounds like it's reliable as long as you don't abuse it. Now to hunt down an aftermarket warranty that is honored by Audi dealerships, heh.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 PM
1st Gear

I have one as well and its the best. According to an audi area exec I know only about 200 were brought in for 2002 making it ultra exclusive.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:41 AM
1st Gear

Here are my few comments. Currently driving a 2001 S6 with around 117k miles on it.

Definetly do the timing belt before the 105k miles. Most would say between 75 and 90k.

Make sure you get the full TB job done. The previous owner didn't get the water pump done. Now, I'm having to fix it along with a steering pump leak [:@]

Independent Audi places should do the TB job for about 1100 - 1300 USD including the TB, waterpump, t-stat, all tensions, rollers etc.
Have a look at ecstuning or blauparts for some ideas on part costs for maintenance.

The V8 is very reliable on the whole. I haven't read anything bad about it. Just stick to fully sythetic oils and the maintenance.

German cars aren't the cheapest to own, but you will pay a premium for driving a very nice premium car. You get 340 hp to play with, so that should keep most people reasonably happy. As already mentioned, as the engine is naturally aspired, not much can be done without serious money being spent. The cost of which would justify an RS6.

Three last pieces of advice. As you will be spending almost 20k USD,I guess, get a Bentley's manual (75 dollars from Amazon), a Vag-Com device from Ross-Tech. Both will be valuable tools for future diagnostics. Also read read and read some more. I use this site and audiworld.

Have fun and post some pics when you get your new car. All the best.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:09 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for all the advice -- i'll definitely look into doing the full timing belt job w/ ancillary equipment sooner rather than later.

Upon driving to check the car out, it has been absolutely babied... you could probably (in an emergency) eat off any surface in there, lol.

The windshield crack is actually a tiny chip that doesn't go all the way through and hasn't spread, so it's really been taken care of.

I'll definitely post some pictures if/when we get it!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:41 AM
1st Gear

Sounds like you may have gotten yourself a great catch.

Certainlylooking forward to the pics....

Old 04-28-2008, 10:43 PM
1st Gear

my father owns an 03 S6 avant. We had it tuned by a place called VAST Performance. It woke that 4.2 right up! Also if you keep your foot out of it you get better Mileage. I would highly recommend calling them up for a tune, we have loved it. It also hardens the shifts a little more, which lengthens the life of your transmission. All in all, we really enjoy the S6 Avant, great for a daily driver, my brother and I have personally gone 160+ in it and it handled it like a dream.

Quick Reply: Looking at a '02 S6 Avant