S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Mass airflow meter question

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 06:06 PM
1st Gear
Default Mass airflow meter question

my car has power issues, when you floor it, it pulls hard to 4k rpm then falls flat on its face, it will power threw it slowly and once it gets above 4500k its starts to pull harder but not hard enought, i was thinking maybe a dirty mass airflow meter, so i pulled it all apart and took it out of the car and noticed that it has 5 prongs when the plug goes into it, i looked at the plug (going into the harness) only had 4 prongs and 1 open slot, so i pulled back the rubber boot on the the connector and found that there was a clipped wire under there, and some one had slit the plastic cover over the wires back, and taped them up using electrical tape, and the plug also had a broken plastic piece inside (sort of a pink/red color) so im thinking this looke like someone screwed with it and f**ked it all up, what does the standard 2000 audi S4 mass airflow have for connectors and how many on the plug and mass air meter side< thanks
P.S. it is connector #1 (labeled on mass) that is not there

Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Mass airflow meter question

bump, not one has any clue? all i was wondering is how many connectors are on the stock 2000 S4 mass airflow meter

Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 PM
3rd Gear

The is one pin missing on the MAF, & that pink thing is the plastic retainer on the connector. If you had a MAF problem, it should throw a CEL. If you want to see if it's the MAF, unplug it, & go do a run, does it run better or worse?

My guess would be a boost leak, check the TBB & DV's, you might also want to check the F hose, & N75. Then also log block 115 with Vag-com & see what boost the car is requesting.

If you are stock, the car does choke a little in the top end.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
1st Gear

well it is stock, but it pull right past 4k with plenty of power as long as its not at full throttle, something like 1/2 to 3/4 throttle its fine, only at full throttle it does this, im seeing no warning lights, i removed all of the boost hoses and cleaned and inspected them and they seemed fine, put them all back on, and still same thing, i replaced all the vacuum lines i could find, i replaced the dv's and the N75 valve. i will try disconnecting the mass, my next idea would be to just go to audi or someone that works on these and say find it and fix it.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2002 S4 with the same issue. It will be in the shop next week for an inspection and I am going to have them pull the codes.

Pulls hard to 5K, falls on it's face, then pulls again. I have the Tip and thought it had something to do with it. It is chipped with AWE but had the same issue before the chip. I replaced DV's, TBB (Samco), etc. I am also going to get the fuel filter replaced since I think it is original with 45K. Problem only occurs at full throttle and is more noticable between 1st and 2nd gear. Feels like someone turned the key off and on again right after 5K...

Will report any findings next week.