S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Need help! New to S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear
Default Need help! New to S4

I am thinking about buying a 2000 S4 and was wondering what problems or issues I need to look for/be prepared for. I am coming from a 1994 Rx7, which I owned for only a couple months because of the problems it had and how much money I was spending. I want to keep a turbo and I love the AWD of the S4. So if any of you guys have ANY information at all, it would help a ton.

Also, would you recommend me sticking with an S4 for a saily driver or should I go for something else. If you guys have any info on which car I should get, it would help. My price range is around $15K.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:04 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Need help! New to S4

As an owner of a B5, B6 and now a B7-I can say they are all prone to problems and expensive to fix-when out of warranty.
Not that I see that as an engineering or quality issue. They're just high performance vehicles with advanced technology.
Nothing much you can do about it.
But the best piece of advice I can give from owning a 2000 (B5) S4 is get a 6 speed.
I had my tipronic replaced at 50081-yes-81 miles OUT of warranty it had spontaneously begun to gear seek.
I took it in and pre-warned them that if Audi didnt cover the problem, they'd better be prepared to have a used car in their showroom window.
They DID cover it-much to their credit-and I had 22000 uneventful miles.
At 73k or so it suddenly wouldn't go into reverse upon startup unless I first put it in drive.
That problem was intermittent. On a particular day it DID work, I went to the local dealer and traded her in for a 6-speed 04 S4.
The tip-tranny's in those B5's were first generation and had lots of bugs to be worked out.
Bottom line for me-leave the tiptronic and the turbos on the car lot for someone else.
Also, in my experience I've learned to not try to outhink the Engineers in Ingolstadt.
If you want a RELIABLE daily driver (if you DON'T have a personal mechanic and a garage full of spare autos) don't mess with it.
Sure bigger turbos and fatter exhaust and bigger intake, performance chips, etc. will excite you like new again. For a little while-until you get used to it and crave more from it.
Then it's back to the junkie and more $$$ plunkie.
It's like Audi CRACK.
If you want more-more WARRANTIED power- go to the dealer and get the latest craze right off the showroom floor.
RS4...
The range of quality in workmanship in after market-not to mention the increased stress you put on the car will only cause you problems.
6-speed if youre gonna drive a sports car. V8 rumble any day...
I'm here for you, man.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:27 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info

So what are some of the maintance issues that drive of the cost? At what type do the turbos go? I would really like to get an S4 but if its anything like the rx7 then I will have to reconsider. If I get a a4 1.8t quattro, what mods would I have to do to make it as fast as a S4?

Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 PM
1st Gear

does anyone else have any usefull info?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

First thing-go to the dealer to buy one used.
Get an AUDI CERTIFIED or you're asking for trouble.
It'll be covered for 6 years from its original sale date or until it reaches 100,000k.
Thats the safest way to go.
Anythng else is a crapshoot-Russian Roulette.
I personally had no problems with the turbos, although I did get a high-pitched WHURRING sound occasionally-which someone said is the
death moan of a turbo.
Everyone sayd that a turbo AUDI is one of the most tuneable cars on the road.
That may be true, but I learned time and time again that going beyond stock-the way it was ebgineered by the geniuses at AUDI-is pushing the envelope.
Chipping it, which increases the boost pressure continuously blows the bi-pipe valve (you can search and read about that all day here in the forums)
I also had a Neuspeed springs and Bilstein shocks installed to tighten the handling and lower it a bit.
I got either serious scraping of my new fatter stainless steel exhaust or a clunking in the rear when a tire couldnt negotiate uneven terrain the shcok went beyond its travel range.
I'd go out and find my tire hanging in mid-air.
BOTTOM LINE- they really make these cars super kick-*** straight out of the box.
They improve them and make them more exciting.
If you want to turn a car into a VIRTUAL S4-save yourself a load of grief, money and heartache and BUY and S4.
Or every time you drive your modified A4 past one you'll feel like an imposter.
(even if you can manage to blow by him, you'll be driving to the shop while he's cruising the coast with a hot blonde)

Old 09-24-2006, 07:23 PM

buy from a dealer with a warranty and the problem is theirs but ( read the small print ) and whats covered

Old 09-25-2006, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

I would say, find a 2001.5 or 2002 S4 and spend a few more dollars...get the CPO inspection from audi, and find an honest, knowledgeable mechanic for your maintenance. The S4 is a loyal ride, so if you take care of it, and the prev owner did too, it'll treat you like a king....OR, buy the car and purchase a legit extended warranty....then you have no real worries. Personally, I'm a crazy d*ck and bought mine with no warranty and just got lucky....but I did get the Audi CPO inspection and the dealer had all mentioned probs fixed before I handed over the loot...

Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM
1st Gear

How much would the inspection and extended warrenty cost on average? That will most likely be my deciding factor

Old 09-25-2006, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

My inspection cost around $250....they will find everything and anything wrong with the car, so its really worth it...because you can go back to the seller and mention the problems and open up negotiations. The extended warranty, I'm not too sure, but I think around $3k if you get it from Audi...that's why CPO cars go for around $3500 more than audis from a small dealer without a warranty.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:09 PM
3rd Gear

You search & find all the S4 info you need.

I owned a couple of RX7's, and must say the 3rd gen is the best designed one as far as looks go.
However, they can be nightmares, lots of electrical problems, weird engine problems, and
of course turbo problems. If you get one that is not top notch, it will cost more then the
S4 to fix.

however, it does look sweet, drives awesome, and handles much better then the S4,
the downside, it's a 2 seater, very small inside, not as conformable & refined as the S4.
The rotary engine is a little to smooth & to quiet. Really it's hard to tell if the car is at idle
or 6000rpm's!