S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

No Reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:08 PM
1st Gear
Default No Reverse

Just got my car about 3 weeks ago and it had always taken some effort to get the car in reverse….well, tonight I get in to my car and can’t get it in reverse for the life of me. So I just think that its me being dumb so I get two of my buddies to try and get it…neither of them were able to either. After pressing down to get over to reverse I can fell it start to go in reverse then it “pops” up and goes in first. I can get in all other gears with no problem, first to second is kinda notchy but couldthis be a problem with my linkage or calbes....or does this sound like a problem when the short shifter was installed (UCC SS)

Any advice or imput is much appreciated

~Eric

Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: No Reverse

I guess it could be the short shifter... But the gear synchromesh (think thats what its called?) can get messed up in yout transmission (by downshifting into 1st at high rmp, bad shifts, etc etc etc) im pretty sure to fix that you need a complete transmission rebuild

Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
1st Gear

Reverse does'nt have synchos, I'm assumeing it does'nt matter weather the car is running or not. By the way it pops and goes to first I would think it's the shifter it self. If you still have the O. E. "long shifter", put that back in and try it.

Bill

Old 10-25-2007, 09:47 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

I had the same problem with my Short shifter. this is going to sound weird and i am not sure if i can explain it. but try putting your shifter in neutral then pushing it over to were 5th and 6th are then keep going straight in the neutral position. use some force and see if it moves at all. cause thats what mine did and it needed to be adjusted. basically it moved around and there wasn't enough room left to go into reverse. or it could be a tranny rebuild time.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:50 AM

I just installed my Nuespeed short shifter and expierienced a similar problem, take the shifter ****/boot off and the trim that surrounds it , remove the insulation pieces (2) and the transmission blanket , take the two nuts off the shifter cover and remove. you can see two shift linkages , each with a 6mm hex , an upper and a lower , you need to LOOSEN dont remove the LOWER linkage 6mm hex now with it loose,(it doesnt need to be loosened very much at all, just free it up) push the shfter slightly towards the passanger side, and retighten the hex bolt. whats happening is , when you push down and over to engage reverse gear the lower shift linkage is hitting the transmission tunnel preventing it from having enough travel to go into gear. like I said I JUST had this same problem , I installed the short shift kit and reverse was difficult to engage , quick and easy fix takes about a half hour. results= reverse smooth to engage , as well as all other gears.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the input guys, I will take apart my SS tomorrow and try what you said R1tuner

Thanks