S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Normal operating temperature question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Normal operating temperature question?

What are most of your stock audi's running at for normal temperature? I am curious because it is 106* here and i just got one and it seems to be running hoter then it was the other day...

Old 07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Normal operating temperature question?

water or oil? My water is in the middle, & my oil is about 200, but I got an oil cooler...

Old 07-12-2007, 08:40 PM
2nd Gear

water. should be stright up and down. and i rock out to stock oiling and mine is 200-225 depending on driving conditions and weather.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

Well today when i was driving around it was almost to the line after straight up and down and so i thought that was a little weird... think anything is wrong or could it just be because it was 106 here today?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:41 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverAudiS4
Well today when i was driving around it was almost to the line after straight up and down and so i thought that was a little weird... think anything is wrong or could it just be because it was 106 here today?
Your thermostat might be sticking a little.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 AM
2nd Gear

might just have a bad temp guage in there, if im not mistaken (2k...) arent those one of the instruments that can go easily, or maybe if just seen to have happen more often then other issues? and itsnt it like quick fix and cost $20?
But yea, last summer i ran my carspirited-ly? haha on the highway home fomr the beachin 95% humidity and 103 degrees and i was still straight up and down. Are you sure you got the right mix and coolant in there? G14 audi/vw only or whatever it is.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:15 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: TKneedsS4
might just have a bad temp guage in there, if im not mistaken (2k...) arent those one of the instruments that can go easily, or maybe if just seen to have happen more often then other issues? and itsnt it like quick fix and cost $20?
But yea, last summer i ran my car spirited-ly? haha on the highway home fomr the beach in 95% humidity and 103 degrees and i was still straight up and down. Are you sure you got the right mix and coolant in there? G14 audi/vw only or whatever it is.
Yea, it could be the temp sender. However, the one that goes bad is the CTS for the ECU & it doesn't effect the dash gauge.

There might also be air in the system, was the coolant recently changed, or filled?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:13 AM
1st Gear

How can i determine if the thermostat is sticking? And just in case, where is it located in case i need to replace it? Is it pretty easy to change?
And i dont know if the system was recently changed or filled, i just got the car a few days ago, im really watching it closely for anything that goes wrong...
Also i have no clue if its the right coolant or not? Anyway to tell?
Could there be anything else wrong with it? Even if its something simple?
Another thing is that it tends to stay hot for quite some time? I usually let it run after driving for like 5 minutes or so. Is this unnormal?

Old 07-13-2007, 12:35 PM

2k are you sure the nitorious "black top" cts that always fails doesn't controll the gauge? There are only 2 more cts's under the hood....the fan switch and the afterrun, so then what controlls your cluster?

Old 07-13-2007, 09:22 PM

Mine goes to the next line when I'd idling for a long time in hot weather. Never past that line though.

Quick Reply: Normal operating temperature question?