S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

ohh no i just got the car!!! helpp

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear
Default ohh no i just got the car!!! helpp

Sold my 1998 A4TQM today and i got a 2000 s4 six speed with 105K today. Car is in amazing condition inside and out, always garaged and i bought it from the original owner. He had the timing belt done at 75K and the clutch done at 88K. Now the bad....as i was driving it home i noticed a very loud noise coming from the rear passanger side. I pulled over right away to make sure the tire wasnt flat and it wasnt at all. I turned right back and went to the guys house who had just taken my 11 grand. He was helpfull and understanding he genuinely felt bad about all of this, needless to say i felt worse. It sucks because i test drove the car twice in the last week for about 20 minutes each time and everything was fine. Im pretty sure its the wheel bearing from reading others posts, but the clunking noise doesnt really seem to care if im going right or left, its just as loud both ways. Im taking it to audi tomorrow but i dont know if i should drive it there or get it towed. The dealership is only 10 miles away or so but i dont want to cause furthur damage. Should i just drive it there carefully and save the $200 or so? I guess this is my official welcoming to the S4 family.........

Old 08-09-2007, 03:36 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ohh no i just got the car!!! helpp

U in the rong forum!

Aniway, its the control arms, be ready $$$[:'(]

Old 08-09-2007, 10:27 AM
3rd Gear

Actually he stated he sold his A4 to obtain an S4. But yes, it sounds like the control arms are where you'll want to start looking.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:38 AM

If it is a squeaking/ whistling noise that you hear "high pitch" its a bearing... if it is any type of clunky in which you describe... suspension!!! Control arms most likely could be actual suspension pistons but since it happens when you are moving and not on bumps I would go with control arms... they can get pricey so get ready.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:24 PM
1st Gear

yea i was thinking control arm too, i took it to audi and they looked at it real quick and susposedly found the lugs were loose on the wheel and they needed to be replaced ($135). Does that sound a little strange to anyone else? Why would the lugs loosen themselves in a matter of a few days? I drove it on monday and everything was perfect or so i thought. 3 months ago that same wheel was serviced by audi and the wheel bearing was replaced, so if its anyones fault its gotta be theirs bc the previous owner swears the wheel hasnt been off since. It just seems wierd... what do you all think?

Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 PM
3rd Gear

I'd say check the torque on the lugs periodically to see if they are in fact loosening themselves off, but first I would take it to the dealer/indy shop he had service the car and ask them what was replaced and if they saw any other discrepincies in the suspension back there.