S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Please help!!!! Audi s4 boost/fuel cut problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Default Please help!!!! Audi s4 boost/fuel cut problem

I have a stage 2 plus 2000 audi s4 that has k04's and stock fueling with a weird problem. was seeing if anyone could help....

Whenever i get on it it'll go up to 10psi of boost and then just shut down. it feels like a govener kicks in because it starts to jerk really bad and feels like neither of the turbos are spooling. it does this in any gear. My buddy was driving behind me and said that it was pouring black smoke and smelled like straight fuel. i have an apr state 2 plus chip.

checked all the connections and hoses and everything and everything is good. didnt throw any codes or anything.

please help!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

maf? o2 sensor?

Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 AM
2nd Gear

yeah, unplug your maf and see how it runs, then you know your maf is going bad, also with stock fueling you need at crushed 4.0 fuel reg or a 5.0 fuel reg so you can get more flow, also a new 255 fuel pump would not hurt. you is jerking cause there is like you think not enought fuel going to the engine and to much air so it cuts you back. you really need a new stage 3- tune so you dont boost as high and also get more fuel to air when you need it.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

Hmm, it sounds like there might be a couple of things wrong since you're running that rich...but the bucking and boost cutting is pretty characteristic of bad EGT(s). Have you scanned for codes?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by readimag
yeah, unplug your maf and see how it runs, then you know your maf is going bad, also with stock fueling you need at crushed 4.0 fuel reg or a 5.0 fuel reg so you can get more flow, also a new 255 fuel pump would not hurt. you is jerking cause there is like you think not enought fuel going to the engine and to much air so it cuts you back. you really need a new stage 3- tune so you dont boost as high and also get more fuel to air when you need it.
will it throw a code if i unplug the maf?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:49 PM
2nd Gear

You'll throw a code immediately, although, when I tested mine, it didn't cause a CEL. You'll see the code for the MAF show up though. Might not cause a CEL since it will be considered intermittent by the ECU.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 PM

i have an RS4 fuel regulator that i have pretty dialed in and yeah i pulled codes and the only one that came up was an internal resistance too high code which has been in there since i put the K04's in there 8 months ago... I'm not real sure where to look next. it almost sounds like my drivers side turbo is over spooling like there's a hose off but i put it up in the air and checked all hoses and clamps and everything is on tight.... and prior to this i've never heard the turbo that loud....

Old 11-24-2008, 12:18 AM
1st Gear

at first I thought you might have a bad MAF sensor or bad coilpacks because of the strong fuel smell but now im not so sure with the loud turbo spool. That confuses me a great deal. If you were pourin alot smoke out the tailpipes it could be the turbo thats messed up.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 AM

yeah i know thats what im scared of... im out of a job right now and BROKE! lol. im going to have my dad take it in and see if one of his techs has time to look at it tomorrow. im gunna be pretty upset if its the turbo but i guess it just gives me a reason to put on some gt28's! lol. thanks for all the help guys if you have anything else please let me know. ill keep ya posted with anything i find out

Old 11-24-2008, 03:30 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by fastazs4
yeah i know thats what im scared of... im out of a job right now and BROKE!............. im gunna be pretty upset if its the turbo but i guess it just gives me a reason to put on some gt28's!.........
Haha where you gonna get the $30,000 to build a GT28 car lol

Quick Reply: Please help!!!! Audi s4 boost/fuel cut problem