S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Prospective S4 Owner

Old 10-31-2006, 03:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Prospective S4 Owner

I'm planning on paying off my current vehicle within the next week or so. Once that's completed, I'd like to trade in my current vehicle for a 2002 S4. A lot of the threads and searches I've been performing surround the amount of money that is needed to maintain these vehicles.

Are these maintenance costs as a result of modifications made to these vehicles or are oil changes and the like that much more expensive than other manufacturs? These costs are making me a bit hesitant on the purchase.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:25 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Prospective S4 Owner

out of curiuosity,... why are you waiting to trade it in simply to pay it off?

costs are hit or miss.. I have a fairly heavily modified car and have little to no issues. The one issue ive had that was fairly mechanical turned out to be a boost leak in a slightly torn vac line. cheap fix. But other people have had a bunch of problems with their car. I personally think there are particular vulnerbilities in the b5 S4 that once taken care of makes the car pretty strong.. i.e., diverter valves, TBB, and turbo.

just that when youdo have issues, labor and parts arent cheap on the car. Oil changes are more, but you can also go longer on it.. but i dunno.. an oil change of mobil one for me is like 80 bucks. good for 5k

Old 10-31-2006, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: sooks

costs are hit or miss.. I have a fairly heavily modified car and have little to no issues. The one issue ive had that was fairly mechanical turned out to be a boost leak in a slightly torn vac line. cheap fix. But other people have had a bunch of problems with their car. I personally think there are particular vulnerbilities in the b5 S4 that once taken care of makes the car pretty strong.. i.e., diverter valves, TBB, and turbo.

just that when youdo have issues, labor and parts arent cheap on the car. Oil changes are more, but you can also go longer on it.. but i dunno.. an oil change of mobil one for me is like 80 bucks. good for 5k
Waiting to trade it in because, currently, I have negative 'equity' on the vehicle. The payoff amount is far more than the trade in value.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:36 PM
1st Gear

Why is an oil change so expensive on that vehicle?

Old 10-31-2006, 05:04 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

1.because you have synthetic oil.
2. there is more oil used because of the turbo's.
3. It's an Audi and people like to charge more for that reason. haha

Old 10-31-2006, 05:18 PM
Site Moderator

well if your doing it in a few weeks... i dont see a difference monatarily.. You still owe what you owe whether or not you have the car.. you trade it in.. take the money on your trade, and pay that extra that carries over into the new loan and pay that extra portion in a few weeks. i dont know..could be wrong.

mobil one isnt cheap..if your going at 6 bucks or whatever a litre.. takes 6-7 litres.. thats 40 some dollars just in oil..

Old 10-31-2006, 05:22 PM
1st Gear

well if your doing it in a few weeks... i dont see a difference monatarily.. You still owe what you owe whether or not you have the car.. you trade it in.. take the money on your trade, and pay that extra that carries over into the new loan and pay that extra portion in a few weeks. i dont know..could be wrong.

mobil one isnt cheap..if your going at 6 bucks or whatever a litre.. takes 6-7 litres.. thats 40 some dollars just in oil..
I can't take out a used car loan on a vehicle for more than what the car is worth. I'd easily roll over tne negative equity onto the S4, but no one is willing to do that...especially on a used vehicle. Which is fine. Trading in a paid off car is a lot easier and cleaner than doing the latter. Its like coming in with a down payment on a vehicle. Besides, I can probably get better terms on a 7,000 car loan than a car loan for 10,000 more than the askin price on the S4.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:54 PM
Site Moderator

ahh..i was figuring you didnt have that much equity left on the car loan if youre paying it off in a few weeks.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:49 PM
1st Gear

ahh..i was figuring you didnt have that much equity left on the car loan if youre paying it off in a few weeks.
Oh, no. The money is coming in the form of a home equity loan. One of the accounts being paid off is the car loan.

Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
1st Gear

Are there third party warranties that will cover the vehicle in the event of a blown turbo or something to that effect?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Prospective S4 Owner