S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Question about Gas To ALL B5 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Question about Gas To ALL B5 Owners

Wats up guysI have a question aboutyourgas mileage for all S4 owners (V6Twin Turbo) I fill up with 91 and I get 170 to 200 miles to a tank I reset my mileage counter everytimeI fill up and 180 would be my average I just want to know what you guys get...If this is what everyone gets then I'm going to have to sell my car and switch to A4 04 USP. I'm loving the S4 but its costing a lot. What I read in the A4 section is that they get like 300 miles and well I'm going to need to drive to college about 20min drive one way everyday so more gas would be nice.
If this was asked before I'm sorry thanks for any posts
Thanks
Raf

Old 03-26-2007, 11:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Question about Gas To ALL B5 Owners

I get 92 octane and can average 20.9 MPG After I fill up it's not uncommon for it to read 325 miles to empy, but I fill up at about 1/4 tank and it's anywhere from 220-250 miles.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 AM
2nd Gear

yea.. are you stock cause if you are thats not right.. even with a bad o2 sensor i was still getting like 280 miles on a tank of 93/94 octane... When everything is running good i get about 335 on a tank. maybe you got a lead foot and a bad maf or o2 senors or something..... ide run a VAG com, or goto the stealership.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 AM
3rd Gear

Do not depress right foot so much!
I just went on a road trip down the Oregon coast, & my car averaged 400+ per tank. Most of the time, I'm in the lower 20's with mixed driving.

My guess is you have something wrong with the car. I would scan it for stored codes, my guess off the top of my head, would be the coolant temp sensor, bad MAF, or just general maintaince.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:40 PM

Yeah, seems low. Normal averages in the low to mid 20's for me

Old 03-27-2007, 06:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4

...My guess is you have something wrong with the car. I would scan it for stored codes, my guess off the top of my head, would be the coolant temp sensor, bad MAF, or just general maintaince...
Sorry to jack your thread bro, but I might have the same problem. I only get about 240-260 miles per tank in the city (at best), and that's driving "nice" and without the a/c! I think that's around 19 mpg. [:@] I might get like 350mpt on a long freeway stint, but I haven't ever gotten 400 miles before! I have a 6MT too, which means I should be averaging better than a tip...

2k S4,

My coolant temp sensor was just diagnosed faulty, and they are replacing it now. Would this really affect gas mileage, and how so? I also seem to have slightly rough idle at times (or engine shaking), and some excessive shaking when turning off... Could this be related?

Thanks,

Old 03-27-2007, 06:48 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC
Sorry to jack your thread bro, but I might have the same problem. I only get about 240-260 miles per tank in the city (at best), and that's driving "nice" and without the a/c! I think that's around 19 mpg. [:@] I might get like 350mpt on a long freeway stint, but I haven't ever gotten 400 miles before! I have a 6MT too, which means I should be averaging better than a tip...

2k S4,

My coolant temp sensor was just diagnosed faulty, and they are replacing it now. Would this really affect gas mileage, and how so? I also seem to have slightly rough idle at times (or engine shaking), and some excessive shaking when turning off... Could this be related?

Thanks,
240mpt, that's crazy! Do you drive in boost a lot?

YES, the CTS will cause really low MPG! The sensor, tells the computer what the temp of the engine is. Basically you are running in cold run mode all the time. The car is injecting a lot more fuel & is also cutting spark. Your problem might also be fowled plugs from running rich. Lastly might be the MAF going out, or just needs to be cleaned.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
1st Gear

No, that's the funny part - I'll get on it every once and a while, but I'm hardly ever boosting (it's my daily commuter; Miami traffic). But would the dashboard guages (oil & coolant) even register this discrepency, or would it just be too little? In other words, would the engine always be running rich because it thought it was "cold", or would it just take longer to run the "warm engine" fuel map? (Come to think about it: It always took a while for the engine coolant temp to reach normal, and the oil temp would take FOREVER...)

I think I'll change plugs when I get her back from the dealer... Is that a DIY, or are they really difficult? Which NGK's are good? I'll check/clean the MAF too. I'm pretty sure the previous owner never put on enough miles on her to worry about this stuff, so all that "sitting" has taken a toll.

Thanks again,

Old 03-27-2007, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear

Do youlet your car warm up for a long time in the morning or let it cool down for a while? At idle the engine runs rich and I noticed during snow storms when I let my car warm up longer a tank didnt last as long. This could contribute to the low distance.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:41 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC

No, that's the funny part - I'll get on it every once and a while, but I'm hardly ever boosting (it's my daily commuter; Miami traffic). But would the dashboard guages (oil & coolant) even register this discrepency, or would it just be too little? In other words, would the engine always be running rich because it thought it was "cold", or would it just take longer to run the "warm engine" fuel map? (Come to think about it: It always took a while for the engine coolant temp to reach normal, and the oil temp would take FOREVER...)

I think I'll change plugs when I get her back from the dealer... Is that a DIY, or are they really difficult? Which NGK's are good? I'll check/clean the MAF too. I'm pretty sure the previous owner never put on enough miles on her to worry about this stuff, so all that "sitting" has taken a toll.

Thanks again,
The CTS has nothing to due with the gauge in the cluster. But it should not take long to warm up, that would be a bad thermostat. Also not a good thing. The oil should be up to temp in around 10mi of driving. I know it's colder here in WA then in FL, my coolant is at the half way mark with in 10min of driving.

Yes, you would always be running rich, no matter what temp the car is at. You loose performance & of course you mileage sucks.

Not sure about NGK's, I stick with the stock plugs, & no, they are not hard to change, but the 1st time, expect it to take you 2+hours.

Quick Reply: Question about Gas To ALL B5 Owners