S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

A question for all the S4 guru's in here!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:34 PM
1st Gear
Default A question for all the S4 guru's in here!!

Well, I am beginning the search for another Audi.... I will be upgrading from my 98' 2.8 5-speed to an S4 now. My questions are what are the option differences between the the years, and what quirks or problems have come up on the different years. I am going to be finding one that is completely stock and do my own upgrades so keep that in mind. I spent many years in the auto industry ( not any more) but I am not as versed on the S4 as other models... You input and information is greatly appreciated!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Default RE: A question for all the S4 guru's in here!!

In 2001 and 2002 you get the ESP (stability program)

Old 05-04-2005, 03:13 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply..... I have done tons of reading and have really determined that I will have to find a 2001.5 or 2002 to keep my self satisfied that I have bought the best. I have found several of them in my local area however either too many miles or way too much money... ( I found on with 81k miles and they want $23 grand for it...... that is over retail book... I will never pay retail for a car!!! I guess since I have many connections in the wholesale side of the car industry I am going to be really patient to find the right car. They are of the opinion that I can find an 2001.5 with 40-50k miles for about $18k. And that would be a car that is bone stock with zero paint work and well maintained. From what I can see based on the auctions... I should be able to do is, but the best ones are always the trades at the high-end dealers!! I will have to be very patient and let the car find me!!!

Old 05-04-2005, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

I really don't know what you're talking about... A 2001 with 81,000 miles has a retail book value of $24500 in my zip code (98052). I would think that can't vary more than $1500 up and down, so on the down side that would put it right at $23000.

Were you thinking wholesale?

Oh, and good luck finding a 2001 ~ 2002 in great shape with 40 - 50k miles for $18,000! I'm not trying to brust your bubble, just stating the facts. We're talking almost $29,000 for the retail on a 2001 with 50k miles... The 2002 is probably in the $30k ~ $31k range.

Old 05-04-2005, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

No bubble bursting here..... And certainly no offense taken... I spent 15 years in the wholesale and retail ends of the car business.... you would be surprized as to what you can find with the right connections. When i bought my current A4 I only paid $10,100 k for it with 70k miles on it, at the time retail book was over $14k, and it was from the local audi dealer, the big numbers on the windshield said $14,995. The deals are there it is just a matter of being patient and not having to have it now!!

As far as the book goes, there are at least 3 different books used across the country, NADA, Kelly Blue Book, and the Black Book. You see very large retail figures on most car lots for a couple reasons... the main one being for over allowance on trade in's. (so you can get a trade in of $10,000 on a car that is only worth $6000.) And the other is to just make as much money as they can when someone "has to have that car" and has more money than sense!!

Back to values..... These are 2001 figures with 81k miles...

This is NADA book value In my area... NADA is the predominately used value guide here. Kelly being secondary...

Average Trade-In Average Retail
Base Price $20,200 $23,225

Mileage 81,000 miles $-1,350 $-1,350
Options
Bose Stereo System $225 $250
Power Sunroof $525 $600

TOTAL PRICE $19,600 $22,725 * Like I said.... more than retail!!

On the other hand.... Look at what Kelly Blue Book says

Wholesale is $16,575 Retail is $24,335

Ok, so which book is correct??? The answer is neither of them!!! The value of anything is based on what someone is willing to pay for it!! Wholesale, or Retail. They provide a guide to what a car MAY be worth. It is not an absolute!!

Below are ACTUAL average results for the wholesale end of the market.....
National auction average results upto Apr 30th based on condition.
For Week Ending Apr 30
Above Average Below
Sale Price $20,795 $17,992 $15,189
Mileage 37,026 52,718 68,410
Total Sold All 26 23 24

The reality of it is that the dealers make big dough on retail, most people rely on the book for guidance, and that is what it is... a guide, it is not a bible, you can't buy a car from a book!!

Eddie, I am just looking at this from another perspective, I have access to information and purchasing channels that most people don't have!! And that is what my opinions and statements are based from.

Old 05-05-2005, 02:43 AM
1st Gear

i just bought my 2002 for 23000 fully loaded bose stereo an it has 40000 miles on it

Old 05-05-2005, 03:10 AM
1st Gear

That is a good buy!!! Did you get it from a dealer or private party??

What part of the country???

Old 05-05-2005, 02:03 PM

First of all "Jagermeister", well said and thanks for the education.

I just bought mine a few months ago. I paid $24,000.00 for the car, with the mod's. It had 41k on it. I found it by looking and being patient. It was in sothern florida, well maintained and adult driven. (The guy had it for his wife and he drives an '03 RS6.)
Because of the distance, I live in Milwaukee, WI, we ran it through Champion Audi of Florida. They processed it by my agreeing to have them certify it, $1,500.00. Then add the shipping fee, $900.00. So, I actually paid $26, 400.00 plus tax tittle and license. I got the car the way it is and the factory warranty and the extended certified warranty and the low interest rate (which paid for the warranty price and more). So, did I pay to much? The fact is that I couldn't be happier with the car and I feel I got a very fair price and the right car.

PS
Not a guru

Old 05-05-2005, 02:08 PM

"That is a good buy!!! Did you get it from a dealer or private party??

What part of the country???"

Hey, "black 02 S4"!

You got yours from Imports Unlimited didn't you!

I almost got that one, but someone just bought it.

By the way all, cars.com is a great resource for searching nationwide.

Old 05-05-2005, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

SP4NK3R,
You did fine, it is especially hard to buy something "sight unseen".... you did all the right things though, mechanical check and the certification! I never consider warranty costs in the price of what you paid, because it is just insurance for sanity if you have any problems. It seems like you obviously bought it from someone that loves their Audi's and more than likely has maintained it well. With the chip, suspension and wheels..... to duplicate that would take a few bucks to do... you have to take that in consideration too.... but there are modded S4's out there that the younger "drive it like you stole it" crowd that I would not touch!!

Most problems can be avoided by regular maintainence, and often the younger crowd just wants it to go really fast!!, so they pay for all the mods but don't have the dough to properly maintain them!!

Quick Reply: A question for all the S4 guru's in here!!