AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   S Car Model Line (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/)
-   -   A question for all the S4 guru's in here!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/s-car-model-line-13/question-all-s4-gurus-here-9381/)

EddieS4 05-05-2005 05:11 PM

RE: A question for all the S4 guru's in here!!

That is great information, and I'm glad you took the time to educate me and others about it.

In the area I live in, people do have more money than sense (I have neither I guess, lol), so cars do go for a little higher than average compared to the rest of the nation. However, my situation had a double edge soward to it, I got both the good side of what you just told, and the bad side... Here's how it went...

My 2001 S4 with 80k miles was 19995, but my trade was 1500 upside down. I then decided to add an extended warranty (2500). Anyways, all in all, out the door, the car was $26k. In this area, 01 S4's with similar mileage easily go for 25k out the door, but without a warranty most of the time. The way I see it, I didn't get an amazing deal, but it wasn't so bad either. The car is in great shape, though, and people up here dont usually take good care of their cars. To me that made it worth it.

However, with the information you've provided, I should be able to make wiser decisions in the future. Thanks again for the write up and conscise explanation. :)

jermdogg143 05-05-2005 06:16 PM

Well I got my 01.5 for 22000. It had 50K and is a certified used Audi. Not sure that that means much, but it gave me a little peace of mind. :) Got it from Audi of Bernardsville in NJ

Ooops back to work. :)

Jerm

Jagermeister 05-05-2005 08:02 PM

Eddie, if you bought a 2001 for $19,995 I think you did fine, when you start adding the costs of being upside down on a trade, an extended warranty, tax license etc, it muddies the waters as to what you really paid for the "car". Granted they are costs associated with your purchase of the car, but not what you paid for the car!

When I brought up the auction values, they are averages, and the other thing that must be taken into consideration when looking at those figures are that there is an auction fee, ($2-500) transportation to the dealer ($150-600 depending on distance) and reconditioning performed by the dealer (inpections, detailing, touch up, repairs ie: tires,brakes,leaks etc) $$$???? depends on the car. A dealer can easily spend upward of $1000 to just get it to their dealership.. plus the reconditioning... As far as that goes it can vary dramatically.

As for dealer profit, they are in the business to make money and the longer they have a car on the lot the less profitable it is for them, ALL cars depreciate, the longer they have it on the lot, the more interest they pay on flooring and the natural depreciation the car takes.

I will never end preaching have a tech that knows Audi's check the cars mechanicals!!! As some cars need work that is not readily noticable, don't use the "it drives good" approach!!! ALWAYS PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!

There is only so much you can do to turn a lump of coal into a diamond, you can tell by all the little things... broken and worn interior pieces,scrapes and scratches missing parts etc. When i look at buying a car for myself, don't laugh... the first thing I do is give it a hand wash and dry the exterior, and clean the interior.... you will notice every flaw when doing that and you get up close and personal with the car.

In my case right now, it is happy hunting for the right car. I always have a hard time settling for second best... it will be a journey

black02s4 05-07-2005 09:53 PM

jager i got my car on longisland so its not the one you saw and i got it from a dealer warranty till 2007 or 100000 miles which ever comes first