S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Rs4 break in. Is a little slip normal if its pushed a little?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:15 AM
1st Gear
Exclamation Rs4 break in. Is a little slip normal if its pushed a little?

I have been driving it nice and easy. I did push it(maby 10lbs of boost) a little bit after about 150 miles and i felt it slip. I replaced the flywheel with a stock replacement. Question, will a new rs4 clutch and flywheel slip if you push it during the break in period. Has this happened to anyone here?

Old 02-02-2009, 11:36 AM
3rd Gear

Mine has no slip whatsoever. Its the perfect match for my stage 2. I broke it in for almost 1000 miles with pretty easy driving. After a couple hundred miles i gave it some boost and didnt experience any slip, i was still easy on her for a loong time. Pretty much rolled away from stops and shifted like an old lady at 2500 rpm....

Old 02-02-2009, 12:42 PM
1st Gear

i would stay off the boost. break in is 500 miles no boost (city miles not hwy) for a reason. I know its hard as hell but u gotta do it.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:11 PM

I hope you cleaned the pressure plate and flywheel with some brake clean. The manufactures like to put a little oil on them to keep them from rusting.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 AM
1st Gear

I dident do the work myself. Even i know that you should clean it. The two people that worked on the care are master audi mechanics and this is the 3rd s4 clutch they installed this month. I hope things go good. Are highway miles ok for a new clutch, i know that it shouldent count as the 500 breakin miles and i never boosted on the highway. All i can do at this point is wait and see if it slips after the breakin periond. I'm starting to get worried.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:59 PM
2nd Gear

what gets a clutch broke in properly is the actual small amount of slippage when you shift the gears... so if you leave cinci for say kansas city and never shift gears because you are on nothing but interstate, obviously you havent worked your clutch and so no.. it will not be broken in..even though youve driven around 500 miles.. so you have to do city driving.. so no 4000 rpm drops and i guess ya.. not too much boost.. its like when you put brand new brakes on and they suck for the first 2 or 3 days.. its because your not working them enough to mate properly with the rotor..once that is done properly your good to go..

Old 02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply. So as long at the flywheel and clutch don’t get real hot, slipping alot would in theory might speed up the break-in time? Also, I have no intention of doing that or making it slip. I'm not made of money and $850 just for the install. I can wait the 500 or 1000 miles. I hope everything works out.

I want to find that person that punched it on a new RS4 clutch and had slipped under boost and then it got better and started gripping like it should once it got worked in.

Can you see the break-in period on the clutch disk?

I did notice an concave rounded gap between the plates of the clutch. It was a very small depth. Everything was even and flat with the FW but the tiles on the disk had gaps between them. Basically the entire surface of the disk was not touching the flywheel. (unill that raised area gets warn off) There was a small plateau of disk material and after that is warn out, you then get more of the disk touching the flywheel. It’s hard to explain. Its like laying two bricks together with a small gap and filling concrete with you finger and making a small channel groove rather than level.

I think that’s the breakin level of the clutch. What do you think?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

also with the rs4 pressure plate there is a self adjuster that can "unload" or set to a clutch already partially worn position.. its a design thats a bit hokie but works good as an adjuster for the clutch if.. IF.. its installed properly.. hopefully they didnt drop the pressure plate and cause the adjuster to be out of whack so that it would cause the slippage....

heres more info on it...

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng86.shtml

look at that and youll see what im talking about..

Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 PM
3rd Gear

It probably just needs more break in time i dont think you ruined it by any means. 150 miles is nowhere near enough, and the more you stop and go the better. Every shift is going to break it in more you just really shouldnt get on the boost hard, these cars make alot of TQ even at stage 1 or 2. And intentionally slipping the clutch thinking it will break it in faster is NOT a good idea

Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

That tech article was great, Thanks. I had plenty of time to look at the cluch sitting in my house since it took almost 3 months to get installed and i remember i it was set correct when i had it. No way they dropped it. Thats a noob thing.

Quick Reply: Rs4 break in. Is a little slip normal if its pushed a little?