S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 limits???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 02:05 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: S4 limits???

Yea im nott so sure about trying to force the ko4s to 450 whp I think that would wear them out too fast for my liking so maybe ill wait and try to do an rs6 kit, hmm tough decision
Code:

Old 03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: auditech79

I believe the engine can handle around 800 HP on the stock internals without any modification, but the CV axles and such have had problems at the 900 HP range.
I have seen S4's with over 1,000 HP, but they were heavilly modified with internal upgrades.
800 hp on the stock internal! lol... not too sure about that one... sounds like a fully buit racing engine from the factory to me if that was the case.... if the stock engine comes with 250 hp from the factory i would assume it could be safe to add a 40% increase to that.... so maybe about 375 hp on the factory engine.... unless the factory rods and pistons are forged.... and you've got stainless steal valves...

Old 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: JETSPEED333
800 hp on the stock internal! lol... not too sure about that one... sounds like a fully buit racing engine from the factory to me if that was the case.... if the stock engine comes with 250 hp from the factory i would assume it could be safe to add a 40% increase to that.... so maybe about 375 hp on the factory engine.... unless the factory rods and pistons are forged.... and you've got stainless steal valves...
Uhhh, all of the off the shelfK04 kits make about 450 crank horsepower, with absolutely no internal mods. As was stated earlier, VAST has the GT600 S4, which makes around 600 horsepower with GT series turbos, also on stock internals.......

In general, the stock 2.7T block *easily* handles power levels up to 500 horsepower, and I wouldn't even worry much at that point. Only if you really push it past 600 horsepower, would I really worry about the block's weaknesses. Everything before that is only limited by exhaust and fueling.

*Edit*
Wanted to mention that it's also not too rare to see some extremely strong twin turbo engines. The Nissan RB26DETT in Nissan Skylinesis known to handle 600 horsepower on stock internals as is the 2JZ-GTE in the Toyota Supra.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

yeah so your engine is good but your tranny will fail like a fat kid on a diet

Old 03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
SoCal Crew Member

what does the s4 internals consist of???....all forged with a sealed deck?
...i'd think so, withnumbers like those.....

..so what would be the first thing to break on the 2.7t after surpassing 500hp?

Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: readimag
Hahah. Funny analogy. Sadly, it's pretty true.

ORIGINAL: JETSPEED333..so what would be the first thing to break on the 2.7t after surpassing 500hp?
I'm actually not sure. All I know isthat you'resafe even at 450+ HP. I don't even know whattypically fails on high horsepower turbo engines.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM
3rd Gear

It depends on the extent to which the car is modified, but rods are the next big one once you start pushing 550 or 600 crank HP.

As you increase horsepower your clutch is certainly going to blow. If you launch hard you should worry about your transmission and axles big time.

The engine itself is pretty robust, like batteries said you can keep stuffing fuel and air in untill about 500HP without worry

Old 03-14-2008, 08:55 PM
SoCal Crew Member

I have to assume the rods and pistons are forged from the factory in order to produce those numbers... that's pretty sweet though.... as much as i love the strong smooth v8... i would love to have the 2.7t in the B6 platform.... engine swap! haha

Old 03-15-2008, 05:58 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: readimag

OMG that's too funny. Hey everyone, this is my first postand I love this site!

I have owned my B5 S4 for several months now and I love this car! It is currently stock but man does this car surprise a lot of people! I'm in La Grange Kentucky and this area is prodominantly a Mustang town with a few stragglingHondas running around with the oversized muffler nearly dragging the ground. You get the picture... Anyway I'm giving these Stangs hell and they have no idea what the hell I'm even driving.

I have been looking at a chip mod. The post I quoted about the transmission is really my main concern about doing any mods at all. I have seen a lot of engine talk but what about the trannys?I have an automatic and I'm thinking it is probably not going to be as robust as a manual. So if I were to do a chip, which would get me upwards around 320 hp on pump gas, do you guys think I would have any trans problems?

Also my local dealer wants 899.00(US) to do a GIAC flash...wtf is up with that?!? APR is 599 and Speed Tuning is 299. And of courseI want raw ***** out power so I'm thinking about going to the middle and going with APR, along with their F1 diverters. That's the extent of my "planned" mods...hp is addicitve though.

C'ya

Rob

Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Demps_S4

I have an automatic and I'm thinking it is probably not going to be as robust as a manual. So if I were to do a chip, which would get me upwards around 320 hp on pump gas, do you guys think I would have any trans problems?
The Tiptronic will be alright with the chip. The one area whereyou might have trouble with the transmission is the torque converter. One of the seals in the torque converter is prone to failure (bad design by Audi), and it can fail even at stock power levels. Most guys that want to run more power than just a chip tend to get their torque converter's upgraded and their transmission valve bodies modified as a "peace of mind" upgrade. The gearsthemselves are strong enough, so don't worry about those. As long as you aren't power-braking and launching every time you drive the car, the transmission should be fine. The main thing (other than the faulty seal)that would cause the torque converter to fail would be excessive heat build-up by constantly punishing it. As long as you aren't pushing the car wide open throttle every minute you drive it, then you should be fine.

ORIGINAL: Demps_S4
Also my local dealer wants 899.00(US) to do a GIAC flash...wtf is up with that?!? APR is 599 and Speed Tuning is 299. And of courseI want raw ***** out power so I'm thinking about going to the middle and going with APR, along with their F1 diverters. That's the extent of my "planned" mods...hp is addicitve though.
You can get a GIAC chip for $599 from AWE Tuning. Just send your ECU to themand they'll do the rest. The unofficial king for ***** out power (as you put it, haha) is GIAC. APR is great, as well, but inmy opinion, theydon't quite offer the ultimate, bleeding edge power that GIAC does. If you have your heart set on APR, go right ahead, as the difference between most of the chips nowadays is around 10 horsepower + or - . From abudget perspective, the F1 diverters aren't really "worth it." You can get by just fine with the upgraded Audi diverters, which will work just as well as the F1s. Plus, the upgraded OEM diverters are maintenance free, while some of the aftermarket "fancy schmancy" diverters need to be oiled/greased up occassionally.

Here are the 710N diverters that most people swear by:http://vastperformance.com/shop/prod...products_id=49

Quick Reply: S4 limits???