S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 Valentine One (V1) Install (Radar Detector)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM
1st Gear
Default S4 Valentine One (V1) Install (Radar Detector)

Hey everyone, I got a 2002 s4 and have been driving it for about two months now. Anyways I got my first speeding ticket of my life the other day (I'm turning 20 this saturday, so 4 years on the road) -- in all honesty it was my first time getting pulled over -- which is remarkable. I accredit this to driving only SUV's and pickups in high school (toyata 4 runner mainly), which was a sweet *** car but when i hit anything above 70 mph I REALLY felt it (wind, not a smooth ride, etc). I became quickly accustomed to this feeling of when I was 'speeding' and was able to judge it solely on that. Now with an s4 I hit 95 easily and don't even realize it -- which is exactly what happend when I got pulled over. Yes I sped and drove agressive as hell in Seattle, WA (where I went to high school) but now in No. Cal where I go to school and drive my s4 I have no idea where the speed traps are typically at, when to speed safely, etc -- so I have decided to spend the ~400 on a V1 (I assume my 98 in a 65 will be $200+, so its worth it IMO).

ANYWAYS, now that the background is settled, I'm wondering about instalation o
f my V1. I realize that hanging anything from your windshield with suction cups is illegal in Cali, so I will have to mount it somehow to my rear view mirror or hide it -- however this is just what I have read so I'm wondering if any of you have any personal input on this -- I'm mainly interested in the installation process and how it all works in an S4.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks again

Old 10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: S4 Valentine One (V1) Install (Radar Detector)

Well its just a normal radar detector give it power and it will work. Valentine reccomends mounting high in the car because it will work best so they dont sell external sensors (to, for instance, put behind your grill for a stealth install) What i would reccomend doing is hard wireing by taping into the power up by the sunroof and lights and clipping the detector itself to your rearview mirror. This just avoids using up your power outlet and having the cord streching up to the detector. I dont know anything about CA laws so ill take your word for it that you cant have it on the window. They are legal though right? If you are pulled over unplug it, take it down and set it in your center console.

Heres one way to hardwire it http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec32.shtml

Heres another through the sunroof http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec105.shtml

There are remote displays including a stealth display just for the s4 ( http://www.toyguy.o-f.com/v1.html ) but from what i understand you still have to have the detector hanging so why not just leave it there.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 AM
2nd Gear

why don't you just drive safely

Old 10-23-2007, 12:22 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Mott Power

why don't you just read my post instead of being a ******* moron

thanks

Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: golfman44

thanks
[sm=owned.gif]

You could probably get away with mounting it somehow on your rear-view mirror, but I'm worried that the V1 will be too heavy and too bulky to be somehow attached to your mirror and not rip it off in a short time, and/or annoy the living heck out of you by having amassive box practicallyin your face all the time.

Still thinking about how you could do it though....hmm...

Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 AM
2nd Gear

thanks
i can understand the fact of not being used to a sportier vehicle and kind of surprised at the acceleration, etc. but if you have to be an idiot to not know the difference between cruising at 65 rather than 95 mph, not to mention you should be keeping an eye on your speedometer quite frequently, even if you are just accelerating you should be keeping an eye on your speedo, not just guning it to over pass someone. yes, i read your message and u mentioned how u sped back home in WA and judging by your other thread about how to launch the car with an automatic tranny, i would say my advice of you driving more safely is logically excusable

Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 AM
1st Gear

thanks
i can understand the fact of not being used to a sportier vehicle and kind of surprised at the acceleration, etc. but if you have to be an idiot to not know the difference between cruising at 65 rather than 95 mph, not to mention you should be keeping an eye on your speedometer quite frequently, even if you are just accelerating you should be keeping an eye on your speedo, not just guning it to over pass someone. yes, i read your message and u mentioned how u sped back home in WA and judging by your other thread about how to launch the car with an automatic tranny, i would say my advice of you driving more safely is logically excusable
your comments are 100% useless and irrelevant and are taking this thread in a retarded direction. go troll elsewhere please if you can't answer my question, we would all appreciate it.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 AM
2nd Gear

i'm taking it in the correct direction by saying you should be more attentive of your own speed first, I'm 20 and had a '99 4 Runner which I drove and switched between an S4, I understand where you are coming from with the differences of switching to the car, I'm just advising that you maybe try slowing down your speed and paying attention a little more before dropping money on a V1

Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 AM
1st Gear

How about you spell and punctuate your sentences properlybefore giving people adviceabout their driving.Yeah yeah, I know. You've gotnearly 900posts, and I'm just a n00b with 40 something posts, right? How dare I raise my voice to someone as established asyou on Audi Forums, right?

I have no clue why you are giving golfman driving advice. First and foremost, that's none of your business, and in this case it has almost nothing to do with his question. He is asking how to install a radar detector stealthily and where to place it, NOT why he got the ticket and what he's doing wrong while driving, so I have no idea where you came up with that brilliantresponse.

The fact is, people get speeding tickets. People also want to avoid speeding tickets. The next time you take a corner a tiny bit aggressively, remind yourself of this post and your wonderful advice, see how much sense it makes then.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Batteries

How about you spell and punctuate your sentences properlybefore giving people adviceabout their driving.Yeah yeah, I know. You've gotnearly 900posts, and I'm just a n00b with 40 something posts, right? How dare I raise my voice to someone as established asyou on Audi Forums, right?

I have no clue why you are giving golfman driving advice. First and foremost, that's none of your business, and in this case it has almost nothing to do with his question. He is asking how to install a radar detector stealthily and where to place it, NOT why he got the ticket and what he's doing wrong while driving, so I have no idea where you came up with that brilliantresponse.

The fact is, people get speeding tickets. People also want to avoid speeding tickets. The next time you take a corner a tiny bit aggressively, remind yourself of this post and your wonderful advice, see how much sense it makes then.

if you are doing 95 then you deserve a ticket, not to get away with it

and when did i ever say something about my posts being of stature?

Quick Reply: S4 Valentine One (V1) Install (Radar Detector)