S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

S4 Vs. A4 in Touge and Track compare??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 AM
1st Gear
Default S4 Vs. A4 in Touge and Track compare??

Ok, I've been looking into Audi's lately, I don't own one, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get one. I've driven them and love the interior call me crazy but I like it better than BMW. But my question is......

I don't race, but I do drive, I take to the track and the back roads, what would be the downside to getting a S4 over an A4, I realize there is more power to be made with a S4 or at least out of the box, on the track it might seem liek the S4 would be better it is audi's better line?

Honestly other than the engine I don't know the nitty gritty in the difference between the two, like is the weight difference affect the turn ability hugely? I come from having a HUGE line of small cars, the largest car I've owned at been a 91 mazda 626, or a 240sx, currently I drive a 03' mr2 spyder, but I find my self wanting something a little more grown up, but still trackable,

PLEASE help me with this. Thanks.

Old 01-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Tech Slut
Default RE: S4 Vs. A4 in Touge and Track compare??

alright, the s4 is the performance version of the a4 platform. its the M3 to a 330, got it? better suspension better tranny, better more powerful motor, nicer seats and interior. all and all a nicer car. much more power potential than the a4

Old 01-25-2006, 05:54 AM
1st Gear

yeah thats what I figured, but it didn't quite answer my question, I mean how does the car perform on the track, and on back roads, is it a boat with out full suspension and sway bars? what about turn in?

Old 01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Tech Slut

it does decently, the quattro saves its ***, but suspension is highly recomended, especially for track use. it will perform nicely and hold its own on the back roads, really depends on wat your plans with it will be. a4 will show you its quattro capabilities, but s4 comes stock with much better suspension. if you mod the s4 heavily, suspension is necessary, a4 suspension is well advised.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:13 PM
1st Gear

it would be an over time modds. decent suspension and probably not to huge on power mods, probably the usual bolt on with approriate ECU tunning, probably nothing big because long term would be toward another car, but it will see track days and backroads

lets say intake/exhaust/stage 1 ECU & spring/strut and Sways so "full stage1/2" modd on both the S4 and a A4, other than the difference in HP which might be 40-60 hp difference which is a decent amount, how will they both perform? I mean if the A4 a better track or touge car than the S4,
FasterA4ThanUrs

or is it simply the difference between a 3 series and an M series BMW??? Like you had mentioned before(FasterA4ThanUrs)

I don't mean to sounds so much like a noob, I'm just trying to cover my bases[8D]

Also the 5 speed auto? how well does that work, I've always liked the way Audi set ups the automatic trannys... but does the upshiftting and downshitting work well?
I've considered getting an auto, seems to be more of them and they are cheaper, but I don't think I've ever owned an auto, or if that would even be allowed..... I think my club members might kick me out of my own club if I got an auto, but if one was acceptable it probably would be an audi auto. lol [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 01-25-2006, 11:22 PM
1st Gear

You need to differentiate between B6 (V8) and B5 (biturbo V6) S4s.

The V8s come stock with 340bhp, but as a normally aspirated engine, they are not very tunable. Tough to get more than 30 or 40 hp more.

The biturbo V6s are hugely modifiable and can be tuned to be much faster than the stock V8s - but you lose warranty coverage and reliability.
Weight is pretty similar - the V8 engine does not weigh any more than the V6.

The other main issue is suspension and chassis stiffness - both greatly improved on the B6 and B7 S4s vs. the B5 (note the B7 is essentially the same car as the B6, with a different skin/look).

Finally, for what it's worth, check out TopGear's (UK TV show) where they compared a BMW M3 vs. the B6 S4. Straight line, the M3 is a little bit faster. Around the track, the S4 beat the M3 by almost 1 second on a 90 second lap. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find the video.

Does that answer your question re handling? Bottom line, S4s are not really sports cars, they are high-performance luxury cars. I used to have a WRX and modded to stage 1 I think it was a bit faster in acceleration than my S4. But above 100mph, the S4 will keep pulling and pulling and pulling. Plus, it's got incredible fit and finish, solid components etc. It all depends on what you're looking for. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:34 AM
1st Gear

sorry it would be a B5,

anybody have track experience with their S4?