S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

strange knocking when turning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:46 AM
1st Gear
Default strange knocking when turning...

i already know that it is NOT a tie rod end... i know all to well what this sound is...

mine is weird... if i go over a bumpy road, or an uneven lane or something straight, the car makes no noise but, if i go over the same road with my car turned to the right, it makes a weird knocking noise, it is more annoying then anything, but i am wondering if i should take the car in to audi to get it looked at... the reason i haven't already done this is, my preferred audi shop is about an hour and a half away...

any info would be greatly appreciated....

thanks in advance

Old 01-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Tech Slut
Default RE: strange knocking when turning...

control arm?

Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: FasterA4ThanUrs

control arm?
wouldn't that affect handling also? i was thinking this... i'm going to annapolis this weekend, i'll just have them look at it... i'll let you know of the outcome... thanks

Old 01-20-2006, 03:39 PM
2nd Gear

joints would make a bit of an annoying noise thru a turn but, put it on a lift with the steering wheel locked. grab a wheel and try to make it turn left or right. if you get a few inches of play with sluggish response, i'd look into the control arms.

Old 01-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Tech Slut

ive had the classic tie rod/control arm problems like crazy symptoms are always noisy, but often felt different due to the diff between uppers and lowers. i would bet its something to do with all that. they make aftermarket control arms and tie rods, dont know if they hold up better or not. audi has paid for some of my problems cant remember which one it is, but there was a recall on one of them. hope you get it taken care of.

Old 01-23-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

just out of curiousity, what are some things that can affect a control arm? the knocking doesn't seem to be getting louder, but its weird how it only does it if the car is turned to the right... on a smooth surface the car is fine, only if i hit a bump or something do i hear the sound... I KNOW it is NOT a tie rod end, makes a completely different noise (my girlfriend's car on the other hand, jesus, i am gonna steal it and fix it my self how bad it is)...

anyway, again, thanks for all the info...

Old 01-26-2006, 02:53 PM
1st Gear

good news for those who give two *****... it will be covered under my extended waranty!!! with a rental car...

continentalwarranty.com if you have at least 1,000 miles or one month left on your warranty, go with these guys, they are awesome!!! almost like factory warranty, so long as you never had any transmission work done...

Old 02-23-2006, 09:02 PM
1st Gear

check your outer cv joints,

Old 03-14-2006, 04:19 AM
1st Gear

i would either suggest the pulling on the wheel like previously mentioned... or also get the car to where you can grap the axel... see if you can move it and make the same noise. if neither of these are the case it could be a ball joint.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 AM

hey man, i had that same **** going on in my '01. clicking only when steering wheel was turned. turned out needed new axle boots, not covered under audi warranty, cost $1100

Quick Reply: strange knocking when turning...