S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

thinking about trading in 02 s4

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 AM
Default thinking about trading in 02 s4

Hi everyone,
I have a triptonic 2002 s4 with 60k miles. It is completely stock and I have a warranty through audi till 08 or 100k miles.
I wanted some of your opinions about trading the car in.
I was thinking about trading it in for an 06 acura rsx type-s.
Do you think it is a good idea, anyone have experience with the type-s to offer advice.

If I dont trade it in I wanted to modify it. Advice on what to modify for $5k or so.

Thanks For Your Opinions/Advice

Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: thinking about trading in 02 s4

WHY?????

Going from an AWD Turbo to a FWD normally aspirated?
Is it because of reliability/fuel consumption or because you like the new Type S?

I wouldnt if I were you but then again, is it because you want to experience a stick shift again?? remember, there are ways around it like a Torque Converter. + other various types of mods ..
But YOU make the call.. its you car your money
Good Luck with your decission

Old 08-08-2006, 05:40 AM

Thanks for the advice,

Some part of it has to do with the reliability, I'm worried about the s4 breaking down.
I do miss stick shift greatly, and in hind sight I would have purchased it.

Do you think I could modify/upgrade the S4 so that reliability will not be a problem.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:52 AM
1st Gear

sure you can .. but of course like everything in life.. that takes Money !!!

Also remember that reliability is sometimes driven by the way it is taken care of/Driven.. If you religiously perform your scheduled maintenance ie.. oils(tranny/diff/engine) and your DV's Y-Pipe and other various items that were notorious for failing on S4's PLUS not driving it like you stole it 100% of the time the car will be a beauty to drive and keep..

Old 08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Weird, I'm trading mine in also, but to save for a house, not to get an Rsx. too many chicks drive those. I hear ya with the reliability issues, its scary if you don't have mounds of cash laying around. If you are in a position to spend $5k on modifying the car, then I'd say keep it...re-enforce the necessary parts, give it some more power and have fun. Take it from a guy a few days away from trading in the S4...its depressing and a God D*mn shame to drive anything else.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:22 PM
3rd Gear

Oh man, reliability? There rock solid! yes, a twin turbo car will ALWAYS be more maintenance over a NA car.

The RSX is a great car, it handles better then a stock S4, and is all round a nice ride. HOWEVER, it's very plastic, it's has a very sterol interior.
It's also FWD.

It's also not a car you would compare a S4 to. Why do you think your S4 is going to leave you stranded? It's only 4yo & you have a 100kmi warranty.

Did you drive the car yet? What did YOU think? If it's the car for you go for it, if not keep the Audi.

I can tell you, once you start to modify the Audi, it will be a COMPLETELY different car! Just a chip & turbo back will transform it, dam, it's one FAST SOB!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

If you start doing some modding your warranty will probably be void. So if that is a concern I'd either get a new MKV GTI or spend the money on suspension and aftermarket wheels on the S4.

If the warranty being void isn't an issue......chip, 710N DV's, upgraded TBB (either AMS or Samco), Suspension (Vogtland), exhaust, pippie pipes, and intercoolers if there is any money left over. Is form before function is more your thing maybe trade off the piggie pipes and intercoolers for aftermarket wheels.

Don't forget you're due for a timing belt and water pump soon.

If dealing with the needs of a slightly modded car without a warranty isn't your thing I'd go with the GTI.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:08 AM
1st Gear

yup yup.. Keep it mod it be happy ..

Remember that Japenese cars may make cars that are more reliable, faster but Cheaply made.. vs with the S4 you have versitility because it is a Luxury car when you want it to be and when you feel like having fun press the Gas and away it goes..

Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 PM
1st Gear

also, let's not forget about Pearl Harbor...

sorry, just got done watching Band of Brothers all weekend...i'm feelin a little patriotic...oh wait, the audi is german...i'm dumb

Old 08-14-2006, 02:38 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: masterk

also, let's not forget about Pearl Harbor...

sorry, just got done watching Band of Brothers all weekend...i'm feelin a little patriotic...oh wait, the audi is german...i'm dumb

[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

[sm=patriot.gif]

Quick Reply: thinking about trading in 02 s4