S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Those with APR Chipped 2.7T S4...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Default Those with APR Chipped 2.7T S4...

I am going to be picking up a 2002 S4 and have previously driven one with the APR chip and I was VERY impressed with the power. My question is, who here that has same modification has put at least 10K miles on their car? Any problems? Fault codes? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 07-30-2005, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Those with APR Chipped 2.7T S4...

I loved the APR and had great luck with it for 40K+ miles - but I began having a boost clip problem (no more then 6lb/ft - would clip right there - very frustrating) - mostly when the car heated up (but was beginning to affect me more often and seemingly randomly). We checked all sorts of things (and replaced sensors and other parts...but no change...) and finally settled on the chip as the problem (mechanic found accounts of this on other 2.7Ts) and sure enough - once we replaced the APR with a GIAC (I tried both the standard 1 BAr and the X which delivers more boost - settled on the X of course) and have never looked back. I miss this cruiise control mounted feature where you could invoke stock program as I used it when cold or in snow sometime - also to give others a chance! lol and just fun to play around with. I think the GIACX is perhaps a bit stronger - but hard to say - APR seemed better off the line and was very smooth - but GIACX seems to push a bit more boost and susain it just a bit longer - all subjective not sure if the difference amounts to that much. Hope that helps.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 AM

I have the APR and love it.

I'm not familiar with any others other than what I've read.

I bought mine with all the mods on except installed an RS4 clutch.
(love the clutch!, but took me a little while to figure out
that you do not ride it at all! but drop it or it just spins!)

I've just had the throttle body boot replaced and I think the diverter valves are going (they're still stock).

Other than this, I think it's awesome and worth it.
(Previous owner chipped it at 15,000 miles, it now has 48,500 miles)

One more note on the APR. I really like what I've read about them on thier website.
I like their phillosophy and would choose them myself.
Mine does not have the cruise control setting/option, but I will be getting it!

Old 08-03-2005, 11:15 PM
1st Gear

hmmm sounds like what im looking to buy...a 2002 with 47k in my area. Are there any other things i should look for when purchasing this model year? I am definatly going to want to find the right chip for it, any more suggestions would be appreciated

Old 08-04-2005, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

The verdict is not out on my APR chip. I have only had the car for a couple thousand miles. It came chipped with 20k miles on the chip. It feels awesome and I love changing between 91,93,100, and 104 octane gas settings.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:11 AM

anyone know if theres a better luck with a GIAC as supposed to APR? I heard teh apr is more aggresive than GIAC and i would think it would be easier on the turbos.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:42 PM
2nd Gear

I'm currently running with a GIACX chip after having problems with my APR. I think they are very close in terms of performance with perhaps a slight edge to the GIAC. The GIAC subjectively seems to give me just slightly less turbo lag - seems spooled up better initially - but the APR kicks in perhaps a bit more agressively. Both are very smooth. I occasionaly get up to 20 psi boost (AWE boost guage) with the GIAC and I don't recall ever quite getting getting that high with the APR. Subjectively I'd say the GIAC is just an edge quicker - but seems to lack a bit of early-mid oomph. So much is humiditytemperature dependent its really hard to tell. In theory I can plug the APR chip back into a custom slot that my mech made to accept both - but I haven't done so yet - mainly due to the fact that I was haveng intermitent (but of increasing frequency) 6 psi boost cut-off for some reason with the APR and it frustrated the hell out of me. I'm very happy with the GIAC - and had been with the APR until I started developing problems.

Old 08-11-2005, 12:45 PM
2nd Gear

For those with KO4s - is the APR chip you have different then the one ofr the KO3s? It seems so - and the techs I've discussed KO4 UGs with indicate that I would ned to uG my chip as well to fully take advantage of the added boost potential. What max boost are you getting and does it noticibly vary by octane? Also how is the octane program switchable? And is this standard with the chip?

Old 08-11-2005, 04:05 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Roadhawk

For those with KO4s - is the APR chip you have different then the one ofr the KO3s? It seems so - and the techs I've discussed KO4 UGs with indicate that I would ned to uG my chip as well to fully take advantage of the added boost potential. What max boost are you getting and does it noticibly vary by octane? Also how is the octane program switchable? And is this standard with the chip?
Mine with the K04s holds 18 to 20 psi on all 4 octane settings. I just switch the settings by holding down the SET button on my cruise control with my key on and my engine off. It flashes accordingly for each chip setting, when it is on the setting I want I just release the button. That easy.

Oh yeah it is like Clark Kent and Superman between the 91 octane and the 104 octane setting. Even with the 100 octane it is crazy fast. And this is coming from a guy with 2 11 second V8 american cars.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Roadhawk

I'm currently running with a GIACX chip after having problems with my APR. I think they are very close in terms of performance with perhaps a slight edge to the GIAC. The GIAC subjectively seems to give me just slightly less turbo lag - seems spooled up better initially - but the APR kicks in perhaps a bit more agressively. Both are very smooth. I occasionaly get up to 20 psi boost (AWE boost guage) with the GIAC and I don't recall ever quite getting getting that high with the APR. Subjectively I'd say the GIAC is just an edge quicker - but seems to lack a bit of early-mid oomph. So much is humiditytemperature dependent its really hard to tell. In theory I can plug the APR chip back into a custom slot that my mech made to accept both - but I haven't done so yet - mainly due to the fact that I was haveng intermitent (but of increasing frequency) 6 psi boost cut-off for some reason with the APR and it frustrated the hell out of me. I'm very happy with the GIAC - and had been with the APR until I started developing problems.
Im thinking about going with a GIAC (if i get a s4) b/c of teh flashloader it comes iwth. I would keep it in stock most of the time and when im gonna race it or soemthing i would switch it over. Is there a big difference betwwen the GIAC and the GIACX?

Quick Reply: Those with APR Chipped 2.7T S4...