S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

Towing with 07 S4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Default Towing with 07 S4 Avant

Guys,

My wife and I are thinking about replacing our 04 Touareg and 05 C230 with a 07 S4 Avant. But, I need to be able to tow a very small open trailer and 2 motocross bikes. The total weight being towed would be in the neighborhood of 800lbs and it would only need a very small hitch. Do any of you guys know of a hitch available, where to get it, and have any of you ever used one? This could make or break the deal on this car, as I am in the motocross industry and need to be able to tow bikes every so often. Otherwise it's going to be a Cayanne S, but I don't want another SUV.

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Old 07-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Default RE: Towing with 07 S4 Avant

Have you found a hitch that will go on the S4 and not look terrible? I don't think an 800lb trailer would be too much for the car to tow. I don't know if it would tend to run hot if you get into the desert climates with it though.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

why not get a late 90's early 2000's pickup to tow with and get the S4 to DD

Old 07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear

What is with all the v8 S4 towing questions this week? lol

Old 07-01-2007, 09:02 PM
2nd Gear

No offense but that would be pretty retarded. A performance luxury wagon towing some dirt bikes... really? Sure the engine by its self could tow 9,000lbs, but the frame and suspension couldn't. I have no idea how you would mound a tow bar on it, would have to make a lights hookup, and really couldn't tell ya how the suspension would ride. Bottom line: Don't try

Old 07-01-2007, 09:21 PM

What is so retarded? I work in the motocross industry, those dumb dirt bikes hapen to make the money that would allow me to buy a $57,000 car. I would need to tow them out to the track once or twice a week at the most, so I don't feel the need to clutter up my driveway with an old pickup. Have any of you people ever been to Europe? Almost everyone in europe tows something at some time. I have seen plenty of 911's and AMG Mercedes towing small trailers in my travels in Germany. Same goes with BMW's and VW's. One of my good friends constantly has a trailer behind his Volvo Cross Country. Are you going to tell me that the Volvo Cross Country is a more versitile car than the S4 Avant? It sure seems like it at this point.

It's just a car.

I'm sure if a VW Rabbit can tow 1200lbs with ease, than this VW with lock washers should be able to do the same. Some of you guys take things too seriously. Maybe I will take another look at the Cayanne.......

Old 07-01-2007, 10:37 PM
2nd Gear

Buy the new toureg V-12 that can pull a 757 jet carrier. YEARRR!!! but yea, if u can afford a car in that range then whats holding you up on buying like a 2000 Ford F-150 or something cheap easy and dont have to worry about breaking?
Thats the route i owuld proly go.
Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 PM

How do I say this politely, I DO NOT WANT A POS TRUCK IN MY DRIVEWAY. If I wanted a truck, I'd spend $53k on a new Tundra Crew Max. But, I don't want a flippin pick up truck. Sheesh..

If this thing can't tow a 800lb trailer, then it isn't worth the sheetmetal it is made out of.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

The Volvo and S4 are in two different classes. From my standpoint, I wouldn't recommend trying to tow with it. I don't think I could even picture that. Yes, it is possible to do and to answer your question I have no idea where you could find a hitch for it or how you would mount it. Remember that the car is pretty low to the ground and sticking a hitch under it will lower the clearance even more in the rear... add some tongue weight to it and you'll be ridin dirty. If you can afford the S4 and need to haul, look at the Q7's. You could haul as many bikes as you wanted and wouldn't have to worry about a thing. You mentioned the Cayanne, which would be another awsome choice but go with the turbo and you'll get the performance of an S4 (Actually closer to the RS4) while still having the versatility of an SUV.

Old 07-01-2007, 11:08 PM

Guys,

I'm not trying to be rude here. I think that towing a small trailer on occasion isn't much to ask out of a vehicle. Especially a $57,000 station wagon. I'd understand the concerns if I were asking about a hitch for a F430, but not an Audi station wagon. Everyone in Europe drags small travle trailers around. A VW Rabbit tows 1200lns for petes sake. I understand the vanity concerns, but that doesn't matter to me. I don't want some old truck in the drive either.

Quick Reply: Towing with 07 S4 Avant