S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

trying to install boost gauge

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:16 PM
1st Gear
Default trying to install boost gauge

so i was trying to install my boost gauge but I cant figure out where to connect the power supply. I know the black wire goes to the ground. but where do I connect the orange, red, and white wires?

Old 12-30-2008, 06:44 PM

what boost gauge do you have? mine only had a black and a red wire for the light bulb and the air hose for the boost

Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 PM
1st Gear

I bought a defi gauge

Old 12-31-2008, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

is this a mechanical or electronic boost gauge? if it's electronic (with it's own MAP sensor) like the Autometer i put in my Spirit R/T, then you will need to run the power wire to a place that has power with the key on AND while the engine is cranking.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

I was told it was kinda a combo of both. where are those locations to wire it for power then?

Old 01-01-2009, 02:33 PM

try the fuse box its kinda ghetto but just put the wire in the fuse lead and plug the fuse in to secure the wire. but use the ignition fuse bc thats power with key on and crank.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by jamestown478
I was told it was kinda a combo of both. where are those locations to wire it for power then?
sounds like you have an electronic boost gauge. my Autometer electronic boost gauge has a vacuum/boost hose that goes from a McMaster-Carr manifold distribution block (mounted on the intake manifold). this hose goes to the 3-bar MAP sensor that came with my Autometer electronic boost gauge. from there, there is just a wire harness that goes straight to the back of the gauge. there is a ground, dimming, and power light. the power light must be connected to a place that has power with the key on and while the engine is being started so the gauge can calibrate itself every time the car is started to ambient pressure (so it can "zero" itself and therefore be accurate). i have tried mechanical boost gauges and found them to be extremely inaccurate. this may be due to my high elevation however. the needle would always sit at 1-3psi with the engine not even running. the electronic Autometer is always dead on.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by twinturbosedan
sounds like you have an electronic boost gauge. my Autometer electronic boost gauge has a vacuum/boost hose that goes from a McMaster-Carr manifold distribution block (mounted on the intake manifold). this hose goes to the 3-bar MAP sensor that came with my Autometer electronic boost gauge. from there, there is just a wire harness that goes straight to the back of the gauge. there is a ground, dimming, and power light. the power light must be connected to a place that has power with the key on and while the engine is being started so the gauge can calibrate itself every time the car is started to ambient pressure (so it can "zero" itself and therefore be accurate). i have tried mechanical boost gauges and found them to be extremely inaccurate. this may be due to my high elevation however. the needle would always sit at 1-3psi with the engine not even running. the electronic Autometer is always dead on.
where exactly would the spot be to connect them then?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:59 PM
1st Gear

on an Audi, i do not know. use a voltmeter and hunt around for one on different circuits. have someone crank the engine while you check to see that power isn't dropped while cranking (and that power goes off when the key is off of course). that's probably your best bet.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Ignition switch and/or starter relay circuit maybe?

That's really the only temporarily energized circuit on start-up that I can think of.

Quick Reply: trying to install boost gauge